Jones - fishing boats on water

Discussion in 'Art' started by rogerthat, Sep 25, 2018.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat New Member

Hi there,

New here.

I purchased an oil painting from a thrift shop in Australia and can’t find any information about the artist online, the signature is only ‘Jones’. Similar art works are online under the name w.jones, with some sellers mentioning a mid century English artist and others saying it’s an American artist, which if it were I’d think the painting older than 20th century if produced based on American Harbour’s and fishing vessels. Otherwise I’d think English or European Harbour’s with traditional old fashioned fishing boats, given the sails and rigging would suggest absence of an engine. B58C7A97-A031-46F4-881F-6F89C8662759.jpeg . I believe it is painted in an impressionist style.

Does anyone have any further ideas on this piece and as to whom the artist might be?

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. rogerthat

rogerthat New Member

Additional info - the painting is on canvas 55 (h) x 60.5cm , with the edges of the canvas secured onto a 3 tier multi-layered cardboard panel with glue. I purchased it framed in the pine frame shown in the photo, which is certainly not original frame as it was the incorrect size frame, however the picture frames backing fitted perfectly in the frame. The canvas was also quite loose on the panel it was attached to and needs to be stretched on a proper backing. I removed the painting from the frame to prevent it from being damaged, but have left it attached to the cardboard panel for the meantime.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Rogerthat!

i need help likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Rogerthat.
    The houses look Mediterranean.
    Artists travel looking for picturesque subjects, so Jones could be from anywhere and spent some time in the Mediterranean.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I believe all the "w jones" pieces out there are factory pieces, done by multiple artists.

Many people do not agree with my assessment.

temp01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That thought crossed my mind.

judy and i need help like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would agree…… factory painting

aaroncab, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I get tired of saying factory painting to many people who post.
    greg

judy, i need help and Jivvy like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Rogerthat! :)

judy likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well, I agree with you as well as others here.

However, I would like to say that some "factory" paintings are nicely done.
    I would hang the OP's picture, as I like it.

Just because it is a factory painting doesn't mean it has no decorative value.
    Granted, it's not a million dollar picture, but in the right setting it will display nicely.

aaroncab, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but many will........now all u have to do is match it to a tasteful couch...!:happy:

12. Jivvy

Of course! Affordable decoration is the very function of factory art.

I was in a thrift store just this past week and got all verklempt because I found the EXACT piece of sofa art that hung over my parents couch. Not as nice as factory art, it was print on board... now I have to see if I can find it...

Here it is... when my parent brought it home, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen and couldn't believe that we could afford it.

temp02.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    aaroncab, all_fakes, judy and 5 others like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It looks to me from what @rogerthat posted by Jones, and then @Jivvy reposted along with 'w.jones', that 'w.jones' did a few simplified versions of "Jones'" version........IMHO......:rolleyes:

anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  14. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Rogerthat.

judy likes this.
  15. rogerthat

rogerthat New Member

I was hoping W. Jones might be an American painter called Walter Anthony Jones who was an artist in the us coast guard, but I can’t find any of Walters artworks. Nevertheless I have a spot to hang it on a feature wall in my living room, just need to reframe the canvas.

You know what I also found a website today that offers reproduction artworks based in Shenzhen China...would be interesting to see a documentary on life as a factory artist.

16. Jivvy

phew, Walter Jones' work is tough to find. Taken from: https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/seascapes-revenue-cutter-vigilant-captures-the-dart

temp02.jpg

"The painting is part of the Coast Guard’s permanent collection. The artist, Walter Jones, was a member of the Coast Guard Art Program and served in the Marine Corps in the South Pacific during World War II as a radio operator and combat artist. Several of his works are part of that service’s permanent collection as well."

17. Jivvy

(Just re-read my post and am compelled to clarify -- I wasn't being snarky -- Walter Jones work IS hard to find online and that one piece was the only one I succeeded in finding.

It's possible I feel compelled to clarify because I am frequently snarky. This just wasn't one of those times.)

BoudiccaJones and anundverkaufen like this.
  18. rogerthat

rogerthat New Member

Hey

it’s fine Jivvy, I didn’t take your comment in a negative manner. But thanks for replying, I appreciate your response and that of others. I was really hoping it wasn’t a Chinese factory production. Admittedly, that Walter Jones artist is difficult to find actual images of artworks from him other than one you posted.

Jivvy likes this.
  19. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Not really relevant to the artistic discussion but those are motor fishing vessels. Masts and even sails in fishing boats have other functions than general propulsion.
    The use of a spanker is less amusing than it could be.

20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome, rogerthat!
    I agree with the suggestion that your painting is an attractive bit of factory art. I remember going to "starving artist" sales in local convention centers where paintings were sold for $25-50US. Florals, landscapes, seascapes, etc... your's looks in the "style".

We couldn't even afford our own print over our living room couch when I was growing up! (Actually, I'm sure we could have, but my parents were very thrifty.) My mother used to check out prints at the local library, we'd have a new one hanging over the couch every six weeks, LOL. My favorite were the English hunt scenes... I went through an intense "horsey" stage from age 11 to 17.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted