Joseph Rogers & Sons Chef Knife

Discussion in 'Tools' started by L0z, Feb 6, 2017.

1. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

9inch Joseph Rodgers & Sons Chef's Knife (13 inches in total inc. handle)

On the blade, the legend reads Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Cutlers to his Majesty, Sheffield England with G (Crown) R. According to my research Joseph Rodgers & Sons
    were appointed cutlers to His Majesty King George IV in 1822. I am trying to determine whether the mark on this knife indicates it was produced circa 1822 during the rein of George IV or circa 1910, during the rein of King George V.

I suspect it's circa 1822 as I have a piece of furniture that has a similar mark, G (Crown) R V which I know for sure was produced around 1920, under King George V.

Does anybody know more about these marks and whether my suspicion can be confirmed. These knives are quite desirable, and of course there is a substantial difference in the value, between these two periods.

DSC_0038.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0040.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when they were appointed and when the knife was made are usually 2 different things...

Hedz and L0z like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I agree.

L0z and komokwa like this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The star and Malta cross marks was originally that of Benjamin Rich. Rogers registered the same mark in 1764. The Joseph Rogers name and trademarks were used up into the 1980s as well as still produced in Sheffield. They had royal warrants from several sovereigns George IV, William IV, Q Vic, Edward VII, and George V.

http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/history/the-history-of-joseph-rodgers.html

The following page is a query on a knife forum. Note that the query has the initials of the sovereigns marks with GIVR, WIVR, VR, EVIIR and GVR. If you scroll down the page to reply #3, it says "Rodgers marks circa 1919." In the 4th pic #1306 of that reply shows your mark of G crown R. I think this helps in confirming your suspicions of c1920; however, as others have said, this might be just the earliest this knife was made. No telling how long they used the G crown R on their knives.
    http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/87137-joseph-rodgers-sons-query.html

--- Susan

5. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

It's always useful to remember that it was unusual to mark products "England" until 1891, when it was introduced by manufacturers to comply with US import regulations.

Hedz and L0z like this.
  6. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes I read pretty much the same info. Upon delving deeper it would certainly seem to be the case that it's really quite difficult to determine the exact age with many others having been in the same boat. I'll keep digging :)

Hedz likes this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks a lot like the knife used by Ms/Mr Bates in the Alfred Hitchcock classic film "Psycho." To me, that was the best film Hitchcock ever made.

L0z likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted