Featured June Silver Purchases

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jun 30, 2023.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening all,

For those that responded to my previous post, here we go! I'm going to post everything silver related that I purchased during the month of June. I have a few more purchase that already took place, but since they haven't been shipped yet, I don't want to jinx it before they atleast get out in the mail.

I want this to be interesting/educational so I'm going to tell you how much I paid, why I thought it was a good buy, if I realize it was a bad purchase, and for some of the purchases I'll tell you about the silver weight. So....here we go:

My first purchase of the month was made based on this one photo. The total price was $30. I made this purchase because I was genuinely intruiged by the pattern of the carving set in the lower drawer. I thought I could possibly get lucky and find more silver in the box. I was right about the carving set, they are marked sterling and on the blade & fork it says "ROYALL SILVER CO SHEFFIELD ENG" but I would consider this a break-even purchase at best, more like a mistake on my part because nothing else in the box was interesting:

Item1.jpg

2. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My second purchase this month was a pair of weighted sterling candelabras. Admittedly, I wasn't expecting a home run here, but for a total price of $35, I decided to purchase. I haven't scrapped them yet, so I don't know if my purchase price is good or bad, but if it's bad I don't think I lost too much:

Item2.jpg 353637585_9378951828846214_1798620924393333377_n.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl, mmarco102 and 4 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What's the pattern with the gold ends, Nate?

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My third item I purchased was the first item where I had to inquire further to make a decision. The first three images were available for everyone to see; the final image was one I requested. At $62, this was an easy decision to purchase after I saw the final image (does anyone else see what I see??). Total weight (not scrapped so including the handle) is 422 grams.

Item3-1.jpg Item3-2.jpg Item3-3.jpg Item3-4.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl, bluumz and 4 others like this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My fourth item was an easy decision to purchase, but I should mention that this comes from hours and hours and hours of searching. You have to spend those hours and then you "get lucky" like I do. All the photos were in the original listing, and it was an easy purchase given the size of the regular pen in one of the photos compared to the dish. Total price was $50. Weight is 354 grams:

Item4-1.jpg Item4-2.jpg Item4-3.jpg

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My fifth purchase this month came from good observation. The first five photos were available to anyone, but the silverware looked interesting to me so I asked for additional photos. The last two photos were provided to me and then I had an easy decision (do you see what I see?). Price was $52 and factoring about 15 grams per knife handle total weight is 228 grams:

Item5-1.jpg Item5-2.jpg Item5-3.jpg Item5-4.jpg Item5-5.jpg Item5-6.jpg Item5-7.jpg

7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My sixth purchase of the month was a group of miniature items the seller stated they all were marked 925/sterling etc. I don't really know if I made a good purchase, they are all marked, but not enormous and I would like to test the larger two items with acid to be sure. Total price was $36, total weight is 74 grams but I have my doubts about everything except the rocking chair:

Item6-1.jpg

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My seventh purchase of the month was my home run of the month. I initially inquired about a listing for silverplated items contained in the first four photos. That led to me getting all the additional photos of other items for sale and ultimately I gambled purchasing everything for $130. I may post more about this group in the future; various purities etc, but generally speaking it's about 2,100 grams of 800, 835 and sterling silver:

Item7-1.jpg Item7-2.jpg Item7-3.jpg Item7-4.jpg Item7-5.jpg Item7-6.jpg Item7-7.jpg Item7-8.jpg Item7-9.jpg Item7-10.jpg

9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

More photos that I had to evaluate purchase 7:

Item7-11.jpg Item7-12.jpg Item7-13.jpg Item7-14.jpg Item7-15.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl, mmarco102 and 3 others like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My eighth purchase I had one photo to work with, but I asked to see additional photos of the two items circled. I was provided the next photo. This was completely speculative, as I hadn't seen any silver marks but the back of the bowl had all the signs I look for in real silver. Made the purchase for $40. Total weight of the bowl is 266 grams Wallace sterling Stradivari pattern:

Item8-1.jpg Item8-2.jpg Item8-3.jpg

11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My ninth purchase was a complete gamble, and since I haven't received it yet, I don't know if I bought a winner or a dud. It was worth it whatever the outcome, but personally I think I bought a dud (and I would do it again to be honest). The reality is I've made lots of bad purchases, but hopefully you can see on the previous items that the good buys pay for the bad ones. Total price was $50, I bought it because of the size, because it has a peacock on it which could be a sign of middle eastern or india both locations where you wouldn't always have markings:

Item9-1.jpg Item9-2.jpg Item9-3.jpg Item9-4.jpg Item9-5.jpg Item9-6.jpg Item9-7.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl, ola402 and 4 others like this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My tenth purchase was a costly mistake, but that's how you learn. The listing had the first two photos and was listed as silverplate. I asked for the third photo, and for some silly reason I thought it resembled a minerva mark or some similar european mark. Nope, silverplate, so not great that I spent $80:

Item10-1.jpg Item10-2.jpg Item10-3.jpg

13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My eleventh purchase is a pure gamble and perhaps one that I'll regret, as it's a lot of money to spend purely based on "intuition". Total purchase price was $115; hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if this will be a homerun or a dud. I will say that the bowl looks very promising, and rather large too. No clue what to make of the oval vegetable servers, boy getting those in sterling would be amazing but I think it's much more likely they are plated. But the bowl tone looks right, and you can get a sense of it's size based on the round platter in the background which I have seen many of and those are typically large:

Item11-1.jpg

14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My twelfth purchase was a pretty easy decision, but I put in a lot of work to get the seller to ship to me. Getting sellers to ship is at least half of the challenge for many of my purchases. All photos were available on the listing to anyone who saw it and the group was properly described as sterling. Notice the last photo all those serving pieces too? I'm excited to see them, hasn't yet arrived so I'm not sure how good I did, but the purchase price was $258:

Item12-1.jpg Item12-2.jpg Item12-3.jpg Item12-4.jpg Item12-5.jpg Item12-6.jpg Item12-7.jpg Item12-8.jpg Item12-9.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My thirteenth purchase here are the original listing photos, I'll show this one kind of like "let's play a game" DON'T SCROLL IF YOU WANT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT LOOKS INTERESTING.

Item13-1.jpg Item13-2.jpg Item13-3.jpg Item13-4.jpg Item13-5.jpg Item13-6.jpg

16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Upon inquiring further, here's the additional photos I received:

Item13-7.jpg Item13-8.jpg Item13-9.jpg Item13-10.jpg Item13-11.jpg Item13-12.jpg Item13-13.jpg Item13-14.jpg Item13-15.jpg Item13-16.jpg

17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

And based on those photos, I purchased the entire group for $275 (does anyone else see why?) There were a couple minor silver items, but what got me to make the purchase was.....

That big round silver tray, total weight: 634 grams.

18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

And my final purchase of the month I inquired about a silver flute, and was provided the following photos (do you see what I see?). Total price was $153 (I need to stop buying silver flutes it's an addiction), weight is 418 grams (not sure if I'll scrap or not):

Item14-1.jpg Item14-2.jpg Item14-3.jpg Item14-4.jpg Item14-5.jpg Item14-6.jpg

19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That's all I have to share for now. Total silver purchases for the month totaled up to $1,366; ultimately I consider it a very successful month, certainly one of my most active months in recent history. I hope you enjoyed the photos and background :) :)

20. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

ESTIA STAINLESS KOREA - Gothic Gold

Figtree3, cxgirl and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted