Featured Just a marked Salad Bowl ...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Touchdry, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a little story for you.

Sometime in the late 90's my wife bought an old salad bowl for 3 pounds in a charity shop.

Some years later, as my interest in pots grew, I was helping myself to some lettuce when I suddenly noticed the salad bowl in a particular light!

After dinner, having washed said bowl, I noticed that it was handmade and marked BL ...

... yes, you guessed it - it was a Bernard Leach Bowl (runs around the kitchen making weird noises!).

We quickly decided that we were not going to use the BL bowl for salads (gets out kid gloves and moves bowl away from ... everything else!)

So, we went out and found THIS bowl marked MS.

It may not be a Leach bowl - but it has been a great salad server!

So, can you recognize the mark - very distinctive - not in "the book" ... but possibly British.

10cm high - 23cm diameter.

2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

To me...It looks like a unicorn or dragon head...not much help...but maybe someone else can spark off of that.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Touchdry

Its actually an M and an S with a dot above the M and a dot in the lower part of the S. The M runs into the S. And its all surrounded by a stylized flash.

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

or SW

judy likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Marks and Spencer?

6. Touchdry

... MANUSCRIPT ... :cyclops:

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. Touchdry

Yes, I have posted it on 20th Century forum and the fb Brit Pottery Mysteries ... so I am waiting for any clues from all three forums!

Draft saved Draft deleted