Featured Just some things I've set aside over the years, some whatisits and some need maker IDs

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by jakes vintage, Sep 12, 2017.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's possible, but the metal doesn't look like gold. The thing with the arrow end is what's known as a jabot pin. The square knot necklace is probably gold-fill and glass; they were rarely stone. It's probably from the 50s. The moon is a hair clip if the ends are blunt, and it looks like they are. The bracelets all look like high quality gold-filled. I'd open them up and really look for marks though; every once in a while you score.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The gold-toned mesh thing is a coin purse, sometimes called a beggar's purse or miser's purse. (possibly incorrectly, but whatever) That stick pin with what looks like three tortellini has a big mark stamped into the pin stem. The other two are probably gold-filled tie pins. The pin directly above them may be sterling and carnelian; I can't see it well enough from here to be sure.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Instead of starting another thread and not to hijack my own post but came across this hidden in the back of the drawer the rest of this stuff came from.

It is usually best to start a new thread and will need much better photos for this bracelet.

Too many items for one post in my opinion. I'm happy to help with jewelry, but to ID these I'd almost need to make a spreadsheet to keep things straight. :)

In the future, include ANYTHING written on the pieces in photos -- ideally not only the photo, but write the text out as well so the folks helping have as much info as possible. I'm agreeing with Cluttered on the post ID's so far.

In general 1/20th of 12K means just a so-so piece. Is the knotted bracelet a set with the necklace, are they both marked this way? The necklace did look interesting to me as well, but if marked 1/20th of 12K, probably not all that great a value.

Some of the bangles, hat pins may be gold. If nothing is written on them, we will not be able to tell this for sure in just a photo. Do you have a jeweler or pawn shop you could bring the gold colored items in the lot in to have checked?

4. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Yes I do have a fine jeweler here in town that's very reputable ill gather these up and take them down.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That's probably your best bet. Anything 10K or better will be worth knowing about. Hope you have good luck with it.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

"whack" ????? :p
    ~
    THAT'S whack! ;)
    ~
    Someone coin that term at a deserved spanking???
    :wideyed::wacky:

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Is that a Davis & Whiting purse? The little mesh 'coin' purse...

8. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

There are no marks thst I can find

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted