Featured Just Two Kids Out for a Stroll. How Old are They, and What are they Made of??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey Folks:

I can't find out anything about this piece!

What I do know about this pair is that they are about 22" U.S. tall and weigh about 10 heavy pounds, maybe more. I don't have a scale handy. It came from a retired auctioneer's collection here in the U.S. Midwest, and has been in his possession some 50 years.

When purchased the surface was covered here and there with groups of tiny pits filled with dirt, like pepper. It took Ms. G about 4 hours with a dental pick and brush to clean the piece. I had hoped to show some of the remaining "pepper spots" in the fourth pic, but the cleaning was pretty thorough and in any case they didn't show up too well. But I included the photo anyway.

It is cool but not cold to the touch. The finish is matte and very slightly rough. There are file marks here and there on this piece.

It is signed (second pic below) but I can't make out the name.

The pits (bubble pops?) also show underneath, inside the socle (which looks to be resin). The piece is glued to the socle.

I know nothing about this sculpture, so, with your vast knowledge, please help an antiquing brother out!! Read carefully:

The dirty pepper spots are usually written of as indicative of bone capillaries. However, I can't imagine the size of bone needed to have produced this, so will conclude that it is resin. Very heavy! Would the file marks also be indicative of finishing a resin sculpture?

This piece is clearly classically inspired. Does it depict a specific pair from antiquity, or are they just a couple of kids?

This came from a collection of other things from the 1870s-1910s. Most of the stuff is from the 1880s. Would this fit into that time period?

My guess is that this is from France, because of the look, subject and probable time period. Does that seem likely?

Thanks!!!

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm seeing a resin mold too.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a resin mold three.;)
    A lot of these better quality resin pieces were made in mid-century Italy.
    I'm not sure France ever made them, although they did make resin copies of Byzantine and Romanesque ivories.

There are collectors of good resin statues, which means the value isn't too bad.

4. Ghopper1924

Thanks @Any Jewelry A few questions:

Do you mean mid 19th Century? Or mid 20th Century?

Was the original ivory? Were any of these done as resin originals? Or some other substance? How far back does this practice go?

I’d love to determine a value for this, in case it’s worth insuring.

What you say about Italy sounds logical. I’ll use that as a keyword to try and track down the signature.

Thanks for your help!!

komokwa, kyratango, laura9797 and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mid 20th.
    I don't think so. I can't read the signature, but if you could post a better photo of it, we could find the maker and probably the original.:)
    Phenolic resin casting (Bakelite etc) only started in the early 20th century. Epoxy resin casting in the 1930s-40s, and about ten years later for art.
    So your sweet couple is 1940s at the earliest, but more likely 1960s.
    There is no need for a separate insurance. My guess would be ca $200-300.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Auguste Moreau according to the internet. Titles vary from 'Couple of children,' to 'Appollo and Daphne,' to 'Les amoureaux.' Materials vary from alabaster, to "art marble," to plaster, to bisque. Must have been a popular piece to be so widely reproduced.

Debora

7. Ghopper1924

Looks like @Debora found it @Any Jewelry , but anyway here's the signature in the sunlight. It won't get any clearer.....:0

Thanks for the help. Y'all rock!!

1.jpeg

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I could swear my grandparents had something very similar to this.

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted