Just Want to Confirm this English Silverplate Item

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Sep 9, 2015.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi All! I found the marks over on 925 so I know it's English and who made it. But I wanted to confirm. Is it an Individual Fish Knife? It measures 7 3/4" long. Also, why is the silver-plate kind of dull? It's not real shiney like I'm accustomed to seeing. It's the color I normally see on coin silver. TY!

DSCF3666.jpg

DSCF3667.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Butter knife. A plated fish knife would almost invariably have a bone or celluloid handle. Some numpty has put it in a dishwasher.

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, bear! A butter knife . . . I was confused because the blade is slightly curved, not flat like most I've seen.

4. Ownedbybear

I've got one that's paired with a little plate dish with a glass insert. Meant for scopping up butter curls rather than cutting a lump of a slab.

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oooh! Butter curls. How elegant!

6. Ownedbybear

Indeed. ;) My mama used it at dinner parties, and was a dab hand at making the curls. Butter scooped on to bread plate, the roll must ALWAYS be broken up with the hand and never cut. Then, you use your own small bread knife to put butter on the bread.

7. Jo Taylor

Jo Taylor Member

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Jo, thanks for your comment! I can look at this knife and just know right away that it's not a cake slice, wouldn't work for that. So I measured again and it's about 7 1/2". I have a master butter knife here that measures 7 1/4" so they're both close in length. And, it's used for curls, daahling, not just regular butter pats.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Mine is about the same size as that.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think it's the way you interpret the photo (thinking it might be a cake slice). I should have written that the blade is only an inch wide.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& cake knives are straight....I'v got a nice JG Acorn.

Draft saved Draft deleted