Featured "JWR" sterling; "G" sterling maker's mark; "AS Co" sterling

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SBSVC, Jun 1, 2020.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I used to know a fair amount about sterling silver, but I'm afraid I've stored some of that knowledge so far back in the recesses of my brain that it may be impossible to ever retrieve it!

I have recently unearthed a whole bin of sterling "smalls" that I imagine I had once planned to sell. Years back, I used to sell quite a bit of silver, but I stopped selling it some time ago.

I do recognize everything that I recently "found", but I don't recall much about most of it! (Sterling I've collected for myself is all labelled and stored in a different place...)

Anyway, while I'm far from a "newbie", here are a few "newbie" type questions. I've looked around online & not found the info I expected to find.

1) .JWR. sterling
    Who is/was JWR? I've see references to the 1940's and to the "ivy" pattern (sometimes also called the "grape" pattern) - but info was on sales sites with no attributions or real background. My little piece is a 4" dish:
    JWR holly dish.JPG JWR holly dish back.JPG JWR mark re.JPG

2) "G" mark on small (3") sterling Revere-style bowl:
    To me, this mark resembles a Gorham "G", but I don't recall seeing just a single "G" as a Gorham mark. Is it perhaps a Goldman mark? Something else?
    revere bowl.JPG
    revere bowl mark.JPG

3) "AS Co" sterling 4 1/2" Pedestal Bowl
    Does anyone have any info about "AS Co"? I imagine it's another of the many mid-century firms, but I haven't found much of anything about them, other than sellers offering pieces with their mark.
    AS silver pedestal re.JPG
    AS silver mark.JPG
    (Despite the "cement filled" marking, this piece is hollow...)

Thank you so much for any input!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

For the other 2 marks I am also drawing a blank. Tried Rainwater, 925-1000 and Sterlingflatwarefashions and got nowhere. :(

DragonflyWink, SBSVC and scoutshouse like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Bakers!

I did think the 2nd one might be Goldman, but I certainly wasn't sure! Thanks for looking for the others, too.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I believe your 3rd mark is for American Silver Co.
    Per Rainwater, 1901 successor to Holmes and Tuttle. In 1935 bought by International Silver.

PortableTreasures and SBSVC like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

Are you sure the first letter is a "J"?
    Could you rub a little baking soda into it and lightly dust off to see if it shows something else?

SBSVC likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's 'JWR', have seen quite a few pieces over the years, some with that unusual leafy texture, and they made novelty type items as well. I've hunted for the maker before, without success - maybe someone will have better luck now...

~Cheryl

8. DragonflyWink

I'm having a hard time finding the 'A.S. Co.' in shield mark attributed to American Silver Co. - they were primarily a silverplate manufacturer, but they did announce in 1904 that they would start production of sterling as well...

~Cheryl

SBSVC and Bakersgma like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks very much, Cluttered & Cheryl. I really appreciate the input.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason I put that bin of silver stuff away several years ago was that I couldn't find enough info about it then, either...(?)

10. clutteredcloset49

I have Rainwater's 1975 ed of Amer. Silver Manufacturers.

Under American Silver Co. She doesn't show pictures of all the marks. Lists 15 company names associated with them. A.S. Co. being one.

You know more than me in this area. So will defer to whatever you say.

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cluttered, for checking!

(Darned if I know!)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

Can't say if it is or isn't one of their marks, and there's no further information in the revised 4th and 5th editions of Rainwater, or any other references I checked. Do believe if Rainwater or Redfield (co-author, 4th Ed.) knew of this mark as belonging to American Silver, they would have included either an image or mention of the shield. Personally, am just uncomfortable with attributions solely on the basis of initials - could belong to virtually any 'Company' with an 'A' name paired with 'Silver' or 'Silversmiths' or 'Sterling', or even an 'S' surname, and could easily be an undocumented firm, or perhaps a mark stamped by a jobber for a retailer's 'private line'...

~Cheryl

13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Cheryl. I have to agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted