Featured Karl Kurz Hannau silver fan shaped pill box

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bercrystal, Aug 17, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have had this box for a while now & I really need to send it to a new home. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do want to make sure I am understanding & describing it correctly.

I was told by @Any Jewelry when I first got it that it was Hannau silver. I don't remember if she told me or if I found it on my own but my notes have the marks ID'd as being from Karl Kurz Silberwarenfabrik Kesselstadt.

This piece is 2 7/8" by 1 5/8" across the lid & is 7/16" deep. It weighs 38 grams.

My questions are;

1 - Is Hannau silver considered sterling silver?

2 - What do the second set of marks on the bottom represent?

3 - Is there any meaning to the marks shown in the last photo that are on the lid?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thaanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hanau (only n) is not always sterling, but in this case, it was assayed in England upon import (the second set of marks.) The lion rampant is the English mark for sterling. The F is the import mark and the SBL is the mark of the "sponsor" who submitted the item for marking. The crown is for Sheffield and the lower case h is the date code.

I'll look at the Hanau pages and assuming I can find Karl Kurz etc there and the SBL in the Sheffield pages I'll be back with more info.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't help except to say YUMMY!!!

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That is a sweetie :)

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  5. Bakersgma

6. Bakersgma

Here's the Kurz info.

Note that he (like most Hanau makers used several different combinations of "marks." Hanau had no official list of symbols with official meanings so they were free to use whatever "pseudomarks" they wanted to.

The 3 marks on your box are second down in the lefthand column of his firm's info (scroll down to see the name.)

https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

7. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

925-1000 is a good reference website for many silver collecting beginners

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  8. bercrystal

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

You are so welcome, Peggy! :shame:

bercrystal likes this.
  10. bercrystal

I have used the site in the past but got the information I already had from this site.

http://www.silvercollection.it/germansilverhallmarks4.html

I was just a little confused by the other marks. There was an old tag inside when I bought it that said something about it being assayed but I wasn't believing anything until I heard it from someone I trust. ;):happy::happy:

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    a typical combination of Hanau pseudo-marks to deceive all the customs that were against Calvinism and forbade the import. fake lion passant afterwards legalized and restamped with the F for foreign by an English Calvinist brother, fake French fleur-de-lis and fake Augsburg Pyr to circumvent eventual conviscation by the French etc.

[​IMG]

Asian Fever likes this.
  12. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

WOW, great information and knowledge to know. Thank you a lot.!

13. Bakersgma

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, not much for conspiracy theories, and a bit confused by mention of a 'fake lion passant', so can only say there is nothing wrong with the British import marks on this piece (full marks on the bottom, partial on the lid, as typical) - items intended for import to the British market were properly assayed, hallmarked as sterling silver, and bore the mark of the registered importer.

~Cheryl

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

at certain times it would be better to know something about European history. the Calvinist immigrants where granted tax-free status by the ruler of Hanau and even given a newly built quarter plus religious liberty.
    as they were highly regarded silversmiths they brought taxes to the ruler and were allowed to mark themselfes etc. pp.

16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

In the same spirit as your post: "At certain times, it would be better" to recognize hallmarks and that Hanau silver was imported to England, where it was assayed and hallmarked. The theory that a "fake lion passant afterwards legalized and restamped with the F for foreign by an English Calvinist brother" is extremely unlikely and hardly worth the legal ramifications - there is no "fake lion passant" or any reason to doubt the marks.

~Cheryl

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hanau was indeed a free-trade town which hosted Dutch and French (Huguenot) Calvinist silver/goldsmiths. They came long before this gorgeous little fan box was made.

19th century and ca 1900 Hanau fake historic marks were in keeping with the style of the silverware to make it convincing. So historic French marks were used on French style silver, historic Dutch marks on the Dutch style etc.

The style of this box is German Historic Revival (German costumes, hats especially), so fake UK marks wouldn't make sense.
    The import marks on the box are not historic marks, but regular 1900 marks, so not intended to be historic fakes.
    My conclusion regarding the import marks: 1900 UK marks, by a 1900 assayer and a 1900 mark for a UK importer.

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would like to add, in my experience Cheryl has an excellent knowledge of European silver and its historical and cultural background.
    Knowledge is not restricted to one's own geographical region.

If one chooses to restrict oneself to knowledge of one's own region, one is free to do so, of course. But it isn't a requirement of knowledge as such, and many people research subjects outside their place of birth.

In short, there is no such thing as the 19th century concept (revived in very dark times!) of 'Blut und Boden' when it comes to knowledge.

BoudiccaJones, komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted