Karlstag H&C Austria

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Danielle11, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Danielle11

Danielle11 New Member

Does anyone recognize this pattern? It was my husband's great (possibly great, great?) grandmother's china. We've moved around with it in boxes for 20+ years and would like to sell it but have been unable to find out the pattern name. Replacements Ltd couldn't tell me when I sent in these pictures. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Compress_20230722_174312_2394.jpg Compress_20230722_173730_0726.jpg

Attached Files:

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It says Karlsbad. The mark H & Co. is for a New York importer, Hinrichs & Co.

kentworld and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Danielle11

Danielle11 New Member

As I understand it, the mark means it was imported from Karlsbad which is in the Czech Republic but was once part of Bohemia (Austria). Would like to know the pattern name to see if there are more pieces out there or if I decide to sell it, I can name it.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Danielle11 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Karlsbad, or Karlovy Vary, is still in Bohemia.;)
    Czechia is made up of Bohemia and Moravia. Karlovy Vary is in the Bohemian part of Czechia.

Bohemia is an old Central European state. It was still an independent state during the early years of Austrian Habsburg rule, but lost more and more independence over time. In the 19th century it became part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Danielle11 and kentworld like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Your mark dates circa 1886-1891. During that era most porcelain manufacturers and exporters did not use pattern names. Everyday dishes were relatively inexpensive and considered pretty much disposable. Once you bought a set that was it. If enough pieces broke you simply bought a whole new set.

NanaB, Danielle11 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted