Featured King Louis XIV medals

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Jun 25, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Just bought these two King Louis XIV medals on a guess. Does someone know the age of these. The are stamped on the side with a cornucopia and the word bronze and they are signed with scaldis/ M.DC.LXVII. and the other one signed FVARIN IMG_20240625_150256629.jpg IMG_20240625_150141412.jpg IMG_20240625_150156830.jpg IMG_20240625_150150029.jpg

bercrystal, kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I believe the cornucopia is the mark of the Paris Mint. I have several miscellaneous from there...all are dated, mostly mid 20th C.

5. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

yes i think also, sadly mine have been laquered over. bummer hope i can sell them

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Any old francophile would want them, so they'll sell. The question is for how much.

Marote and hunt2 like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

It appears the busts used on the obverse sides of your medals are used often on medals with a wide variety of different reverse designs. A version with the same obverse and reverse of your second medal sold recently for $150. That’s the only one I saw that matched yours on both sides in a quick eBay search. Condition is everything in the exonumia world so shellac won’t help. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2561445321...PaJeJ8KTqu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Marote likes this.
  8. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

oke thanks, is there a way to remove the shellac?

9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

10. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

wlwhittier, bercrystal and Marote like this.
  11. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

well i am not going to do that to big of a change it go's horrible wrong on many levels. but thanks for the tip.

12. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

have sold them as found for 70 euro

Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted