Featured Klemp antique kitchen cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annie7096, Dec 17, 2023.

1. annie7096

annie7096 New Member

I've refinished the cabinet shown. It's a Klemp made in Leavonworth, KS. The other picture is a close-up of where the upper cabinet meets the base. I'm looking for information, i.e. a photo, of the type of side bracket that attaches the two pieces yet still allows the worktop to slide in and out. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I remember when these were all the rage. I still love them.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Any Jewelry, laura9797 and Bakersgma like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Never heard of a Klemp. The Hoosier's used a metal bracket but doesn't look like it would work on this without sawing off those protrusions. Maybe just a wood block tall enough to raise the top up. Could be screwed in between those protrusions

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

With the 2 screw holes present on the upper and lower extended pieces, those may have been used to previously screw a block of wood like "verybrad" mentioned.
    Just use a piece of oak and your finish you used on the cabinet. Plus it may look better than having a metal bracket in there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
    Any Jewelry and laura9797 like this.
  7. annie7096

annie7096 New Member

I think we'll go with the suggestions above about the oak piece sandwiched between. Thanks everyone. The Klemp brand from what I know was made in Leavonworth KS but it burned down in 1930 so you don't really hear anything about them. This one belonged to my fraternal grandparents when they first married in the 1920s.

Any Jewelry, laura9797 and Rayo56 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted