Featured Kosta Vicke Lindstrand 41827 Sommerso Blue Art Glass Vase Sweden

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, May 12, 2016.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Since someone seems to know about Vicke Lindstrand, I may as well see if I can clarify the period of this piece. The online references I found say early 1960s. There aren't any peculiar initials in this mark. There is an original label. Was the company just Kosta before it was Kosta Boda, or does that even apply? I did read somewhere that the designer name was no longer appended after the artist was gone, which would date this no later than 1983. Any ideas? The vase is 7 1/2" high, 3 1/4" across.

KostaVickeLindstrandSommersoBlueArtGlassVaseSwedenMCM-a.jpg

KostaVickeLindstrandSommersoBlueArtGlassVaseSwedenMCM-e.jpg

KostaVickeLindstrandSommersoBlueArtGlassVaseSwedenMCM-f.jpg

KostaVickeLindstrandSommersoBlueArtGlassVaseSwedenMCM-g.jpg

2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

This website has a history of Kosta Glass, as well as how to date Kosta Boda.

http://www.glassfromsweden.com/history-of-kosta-boda.html

Kosta and Boda are villages in Southern Sweden, in the area often referred to as the "Kingdom of Crystal".

Kosta is now part of Orrefors (also the name of the town) I have relatives in Sweden, near the area. We visited there several years ago and visited Kosta, Boda and Orrefors.

pearlsnblume and moreotherstuff like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll check the link. Thanks!

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that Lindstrand retired in 1973, so it probably isn't older than that (?)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. msgood2shoe

BTW, he left Kosta in 1972/1973, so this piece would have been before then. He died in 1983

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

MOS, I certainly can't answer your questions, but I ferreted out some sites that might contribute. You know I like to try!
    The first site tracks a bit of the artist's career; the latter three are examples of comments on your item's relatives.

http://glassfromsweden.com/vicke-lindstrand.html

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kosta-Boda-G...-60er-Jahre-/371413249222?hash=item5679f46cc6
    http://www.modernistglass.com/glass...ed-vicke-lindstrand-double-sommerso-vase-1827
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/VICKE-LINDST...90bc3f2&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=281939053848

7. msgood2shoe

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Looks like GoogleGila nailed it for you.Sadly, Kostas records are at best sketchy about signatures and dates used. Different sites contain different info. I believe your vase to be 60's.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Google and I are going steady!

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not seeing anything definitive. I would think the pieces marked LH1827 are the oldest. (The pattern on mine remains 1827, but the LH has been replaced by 4 - I really can't see that as LH.) The link in msgood2shoe's second link shows a piece with the LH number and a label that appears to be paper and has a different shape than mine, which is more what I would expect in the '50s and '60s. msgood2shoe's first link contains the information "In 1976 the glassworks of Kosta, Boda and Åfors merged to form Kosta Boda AB". Given that, and that Lindstrand left the company c1972, the date on mine probably falls somewhere within a decade up to 1972.

Unless there's some info on when they changed labels, that's probably about as close as it's going to get.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Comparing the mark on mine to a screen capture of a piece with the LH designation, and given the monogram-like quality of that designation, mine might be marked with a tiny letter L and an incomplete (or abbreviated) H, or L followed by something else (maybe an I?).
    OnlineScreenCaptureLindstrandLHMonogram-a.jpg

12. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

MOS,

That looks like a 4 1 to me (The LH)

They just got carried away with the 4 and wrote the 1 a little close to it

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The problem is that an L designation of some sort is documented, but a 4 is not.

I've been looking for other LH numbers (any number) and I've been convincing myself. There are a lot of variations in the mark ranging from a clear L H to something that does look like a 4. I think it depends on who marked the piece.

I found a couple of references that said the LH meant Lindstrand hand-formed. One said hand formed by Lindstrand. Given the volume of pieces out there, that seems unlikely to me... but hand-formed from a design by Lindstrand makes sense.

14. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

MOS

Gotcha, makes sense now (sort of LOL)

15. msgood2shoe

You might write to the current owner and see if they can provide some info. However, I'm not sure it will matter that much to a buyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted