Featured Kultateollisuus Ky Cufflinks AUH ? Finland

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 14, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Last one for today I think :)
    Nice Cufflinks that I have ID’d as Finnish Kultateollusuus Ky but I’m struggling with the AUH stamp. All the pieces I can see are hallmarked 830 and none have the AUH mark. They tests as silver but no fineness mark, maybe because of the base metal spring thing?
    Any clues on the AUH would be great.
    Thankyou :)
    852E9033-BD09-4200-9DFB-305398B09BE3.jpeg F4FAC837-44F1-4D84-88D4-B6D89BE3D802.jpeg 2B58CD5C-B025-4946-B563-D59278D4AE9C.jpeg 9FB7E3AE-0F0D-4481-B0AB-29779FA75192.jpeg CBFD4E1A-A8DF-448E-B21B-8386D1835888.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'd be struggling with Kultateollusuus, but maybe that's just me.:D
    Really nice cufflinks, btw. Or sufflinks, as a German eboy seller calls them.

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Heck of a mouthful isn’t it!
    They are nice, I like the hammered edges.
    I need to do some more research on them but AUH is a mystery at the moment

judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

So do I. Arts & Craftsy.
    I looked on Leimat, which is a site on Finnish silvermarks, but no result.:(

judy and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for looking. Appreciated :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can't find it either. If it was some little guy silversmith who was only around for a few years, you may be up the proverbial creek. I like the cufflinks though.

judy and KSW like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sorry, Kate - testing isn't always accurate, but they are very nice. The 'AUH' mark indicates it's 'New Silver' (nickel silver, usually silverplated) - used to know what the 'A' stood for, but my memory isn't what it used to be, and can't find my notes, 'UH' for Uusi Hopea/Uushopea (New Silver/Newsilver)...

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s very helpful Cheryl, Thankyou :)
    That makes sense as there is no hallmark and great to know what that mark means.My testing is pretty amateur so unless there is a hallmark I take it with a pinch of salt anyway as I refuse to file pretty things and tip acid straight onto them. I get so many bits that are ruined that way but I get particularly annoyed when something beautiful is clearly costume or has a mark to say it’s rolled gold and it still has a great big acid mark on it :muted:.
    I’ll hop off my soap box now…..:hilarious:

9. DragonflyWink

Hehe, file marks or gouges, and acid marks are among my pet peeves as well. Years ago, at an antiques fair, saw a guy with a bottle, dropping acid on half the stuff he picked up - told the dealer, who 'bout jumped over the table and threatened to acid-test him. I haven't used acid testing in 15-20 years, and your comment reminded me of an under-his-breath comment a jeweler friend made regarding "dam**d amateurs and their testing kits". In truth, results aren't always accurate, regardless of method used, even for 'professionals'.

Here is a 'new silver' spoon at the Turku Museum bearing the same marks as yours:

https://www-finna-fi.translate.goog...tr_sl=fi&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

finnish-AUH-mark-spoon.JPG

And information on the winged-hammer mark:

finnish-winged-hammer-mark.JPG

~Cheryl

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for that link, you did well to find that as I couldn’t find anything.
    Funny that they call it ‘New Silver’ (special material), special in that it’s not silver :wacky:

11. Any Jewelry

'Nickel silver', 'German silver' and 'Tibetan silver' aren't silver either.;)

judy and KSW like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

*sigh* Have quite a bit of info on Nordic silverplate somewhere - suspect it's on an external hard-drive that must've gotten tucked into a storage box. 'New Silver' is fairly common for nickel silver, 'Nysilver' in Sweden, 'Nysølv' in Norway and Denmark, 'Neusilber' in Germany...

~Cheryl

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Another useful piece of information stored away in my brain for future use.
    Even knowing they aren’t silver, I don’t regret buying them as I think they are quite classy and for £1 a great deal just for the education.

14. Any Jewelry

Nordic countries made a lot of very nice non-silver items, many collectible too. I have some Finnish copper jewellery, bought for a song, and now a nice value.

judy, DragonflyWink and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Next time you are surfing the hoard please can we have photos?

16. Any Jewelry

I was just checking my photos, nothing there, so I'll have to get on it. It is 'reindeer moss' jewellery by a famous maker, can't remember who now.:banghead:

Edit: Remembered, it is Hannu Ikonen.

judy and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No hurry but I love to look and learn :)

18. Any Jewelry

K, I just edited my last post.;)

KSW likes this.
  19. DragonflyWink

Agreed - I have some nice Nordic silverplate as well, in my Viking-themed souvenir spoons, some great designs were only produced in plate (did just buy an enameled sterling version of a more common plain silverplate spoon that I already have). I'm always frustrated by people who dismissively insist silverplate has no value - while there is a lot that has little value, they're being foolish in such generalization, some silverplate has significant value...

Ooohhh! Nice stuff, AJ:

https://www.google.com/search?q=han...vD8oQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1536&bih=664&dpr=1.25

~Cheryl

Figtree3, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

:happy:
    I love that semi-stylised organic look. I got some very cheap from a German seller who had no idea what it was.:)

judy, KSW and DragonflyWink like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted