la mode illustrate shadow box.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris Mount, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all would I be safe in saying this is from 1868 did a bit of research most were seen as vintage welcome your thoughts chris 15084865938504.jpg 15084865939255.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

The print may be from 1868 but the fabric looks like it's from 1968 or later.

3. Chris Mount

aah makes a bit of sense thanks for that bookahtoo were these done for any particular reason at all and are there collectors for this stuff I paid 15 aud and there are 2 more available is it worth to pick them up

Christmasjoy, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

They were done as decorative craft items.
    I'm sure that someone collects them, but I wouldn't pick the others up - especially if the fabric is synthetic - as these are.
    BWDIK - they may be all the rage where you live.

5. Chris Mount

thanks for that appreciate it

Christmasjoy, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I have to say Ive seen a billion fashion illustrations,but Ive never seen ones like this. Makes them very charming!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

The actual old ones that were made many years ago are even MORE charming :), the one you have is nice but not a patch on the antique ones, personally I'd save my money and go for the real oldies, Joy.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. Chris Mount

Thanks joy will do some googling what exactly are they called please

judy likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have never seen any done with old fashion illustrations. I don't know what these are called.

10. Christmasjoy

The older ones are getting harder to find, many weren't saved early on as they probably were , not considered a valuable item. They were made just like your one with an old illustration of their era, and decorated with lace, silks, and ribbons of their era. The one you have is pretty but the fabrics are new .. these pictures don't appear to have their own category but can be posted under 'antique shadowbox picture' or even just 'Picture' .. one would have to really hunt to find them, I myself have only seen them the odd time whilst perusing Ebay, there are not a great deal of them left. ... Joy.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

By the way, people are making them now, often for the purpose of selling, modern crafting if you will .. Joy.

judy likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have a couple from the 1930s or so. But they are more like paper cutouts on a black background, with the clothing made of real fabric. I like them!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted