Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing
>
Lace Lesson #15 - "Reading lace" - Black Chantilly Cape
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Northern Lights Lodge, post: 2220991, member: 13464"]Hi Joan,</p><p>I think if I were to list your piece; I'd include the words: large antique machine bobbin floral lace Spanish mantilla...rearranged to your preferences and with your own addition or subtractions of words. To use just "Spanish bobbin lace" - implies handmade. If you don't use machine in the title; I'd be sure to include it in the description. The same goes for silk. If you don't know for sure - I'd suggest it might be and then describe it's texture. If there is a loose thread (that you can cut off) you could try a burn test (although the picot edge may be cotton).</p><p><br /></p><p>Since I've not seen the piece in person; I'm only giving educated opinions. I feel quite certain it is older... but you can be honest about your research and say that it resembles Spanish pieces that have similar all over patterns and are silk. You can always suggest that they follow up with their own research.</p><p><br /></p><p>I wish I'd known about your previous listed Chantilly shawls also! DANG!</p><p><br /></p><p>As for where I'm located: wishing to remain somewhat anonymous for now... I'm in the midwest... northwest lower Michigan up near Traverse City.</p><p><br /></p><p>Have a good night!</p><p>Leslie[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Northern Lights Lodge, post: 2220991, member: 13464"]Hi Joan, I think if I were to list your piece; I'd include the words: large antique machine bobbin floral lace Spanish mantilla...rearranged to your preferences and with your own addition or subtractions of words. To use just "Spanish bobbin lace" - implies handmade. If you don't use machine in the title; I'd be sure to include it in the description. The same goes for silk. If you don't know for sure - I'd suggest it might be and then describe it's texture. If there is a loose thread (that you can cut off) you could try a burn test (although the picot edge may be cotton). Since I've not seen the piece in person; I'm only giving educated opinions. I feel quite certain it is older... but you can be honest about your research and say that it resembles Spanish pieces that have similar all over patterns and are silk. You can always suggest that they follow up with their own research. I wish I'd known about your previous listed Chantilly shawls also! DANG! As for where I'm located: wishing to remain somewhat anonymous for now... I'm in the midwest... northwest lower Michigan up near Traverse City. Have a good night! Leslie[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing
>
Lace Lesson #15 - "Reading lace" - Black Chantilly Cape
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...