Featured Lace repair - great grandmother’s baby gown

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Tanya, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Tanya like this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

3. Northern Lights Lodge

Tanya likes this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Congratulations Tanya. I am glad you posted this since i learn a new trick of fixing lace with hair.

Northern Lights Lodge and Tanya like this.
  5. Northern Lights Lodge

Lark! I'm all ears... please share. Perhaps you've found some new tricks that I haven't! :) Leslie

6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

What a happy occasion to look forward to. Congratulations Tanya. What I've done for small repairs on lace that's not going to have a lot of stress is to use teeny dots of fabric glue (Fabri-Tac) applied with the tip of a needle or pin where the "V" shaped points meet. Then for your specific lace you could also run a line or two of fine thread from the cotton section above the lace to the flower part of the lace and knot it behind the flower. I have some antique linen thread and would be happy to send you a couple yards if you or someone you know want to tackle the repair. The lace should be dampened first, then finger press the broken edges together so the teeny diamond shapes are as straight as possible, then iron with a thin piece of white cotton over the lace and let it dry before doing the repair. I'm away from home until Saturday, but if you'd like me to send you a length of fine linen thread, send me your address in a private message...I've never done that so I'm not sure how messaging works on this forum.

Tanya, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd probably go at it with cotton quilting thread, or pull a hair out of my brush and use that. It looks like it's all there and I'm used to sewing. We used my grandmother's 1896 christening gown for my niece who's now 16. The gown then went to the other side of mom's family and it's been used a time or two since.

Tanya likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted