Ladies Bonnet

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Photodude, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Photodude

Photodude Member

Some kind of very old ladies bonnet… In amazingly good condition for its age I think? Any idea about age? Thanks everyone. F050A3DB-94D2-4B43-ADFC-6A58D3837927.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They wore those forever in some parts of the country. Where did you find it? Assume it's machine stitched. What's the fabric? Cotton? It looks like it's gathered in back to accommodate a particular hair style. Would you post another photograph with it on a dimensional object so we can get a better look?

Debora

3. Photodude

Photodude Member

I don’t know the fabric but I would guess cotton from the feel. There is also some white string stitched on the inside in two places. I am assuming that it came from Tennessee or Arkansas along with my great grandmother. If I find a three dimensional object to put it on, I will re-photograph that way. Thanks very much for your reply.

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Blue gingham, likely home made. Extremely hard to date. Know for certain that it was a great-grans?

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

smallaxe likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see they're usually referred to as a "prairie bonnet" or a "sun bonnet" or a "poke bonnet."

Debora

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Darkwing Manor and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If I had to guess age, I'd say early 20th century. But I had a friend who's mother was wearing one as late as the mid-1960s.

Debora

9. Photodude

Photodude Member

Good question, I was guessing so, as I have her trunk and the Civil War polyglott Bible that she got from an uncle; it is possible that my grandmother could have sown this but I cannot picture her wearing that, have never seen a photo of her in any such thing, but she was born in the late 1800s and had an old singer treadle machine…

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum. Shame. You may never know. But she saved it then? If so, must have meant something to her.

Debora

11. Photodude

Photodude Member

12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

May not be "an old lady's" bonnet. These were worn by women of all ages to keep the sun off and be demure. They are still worn in some parts of the country and by some groups.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Here in the Netherlands those were called 'harvest bonnets', they were worn for practical reasons while harvesting and other work in the fields.

patd8643 likes this.
  14. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I have several black or mourning print ones in my mourning collection. The earlier ones might actually have baleen stay channels stitched in to retain their shape, later, as the sewing machine became common, cotton cording or quilted channels were used.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have one of those.:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted