Lady walking down Dirt Road Oil Painting Help with Signature and location

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

This painting was painted on Masonite with oil paint need help with the artist's name and location scene.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Mugzinnys

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Miclinden ? I wouldnt break my neck trying to research this,its very amateurish at best.

judy, komokwa, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With its quick strokes, lack of detail (and fantasy architecture,) appears to be a factory painting.

Debora

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

M v/d Linden. A Dutch way of writing M. van der Linden.
    And a Dutch farmhouse. That blue colour was once used in a region called de Achterhoek, province of Gelderland, in the east of the Netherlands.
    It also looks like the lady is wearing the Achterhoeks dress, with a white cap with a trail at the back.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    judy, Bakersgma, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Blue farm from de Achterhoek, now in an open air museum:
    [​IMG]

Lady with Achterhoeks cap:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    judy, Bakersgma, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My bad!

Debora

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

We all goof. I know I do.
    Always good to come back and admit it:)

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not really....we see so many factory paintings here....it's easy to go there first !
    Without AJ's keen eye.....I would have thought the same as you !!!

10. Mugzinnys

Well It does look so simple in style, but it's historical content is interesting and life was simple back then. How did it make it from the Netherlands to New York. As the saying goes " if only a painting could talk" I imagine that this painting meant a lot to some family at one time or another. Interesting about the m what a fancy way to make a m Thank everyone, any jewelry thanks for the history lesson. I once saw a documentary about this area with the hay thatched roofs or was it Holland.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Family Name Architecture Wow so many interesting things in a simple painting

12. Mugzinnys

Emigration from Gelderland
    During the middle of the nineteenth century, poor crops, a growing population and the need for religious freedom caused many people in Gelderland to consider emigrating. Many of them did. Most of the people who emigrated from Gelderland ended up in Michigan, Wisconsin and New York. At the end of the 19th century, another emigration wave hit. People tended to emigrate to the same destinations as the generation before them.

13. Any Jewelry

Could have been anywhere in the Netherlands. There are different styles in different regions.
    One of my favourite styles is the stolpboerderij of North Holland, in the northwest of the country. Stolpboerderij means 'cloche farm', because the roof looks like the house has been placed under a cloche or food cover:
    [​IMG]

This is in my region, Brabant, in the south. The lower part of the roof had to be covered with tiles to prevent fire spreading from one roof to another:
    [​IMG]

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Parts of Gelderland are part of our Bible Belt, very conservative Calvinist Protestants. Some customs in parts of the Bible Belt go against our laws, constitution and what we consider human rights. That is why many left, first for South Africa, later on to the Americas.
    The ones that stayed, were allowed some exemptions that are no longer deemed acceptable. It was only after state subsidies for a political party were threatened to be cut (taxpayer's money!) that they are now slowly starting to allow women to vote, for instance.

The story of the eastern part of de Achterhoek is slightly different. After 1648 that part of Gelderland came under rule of the powerful Catholic Prince-Bishop of Münster in Germany. That meant Calvinism was not acceptable.
    I don't know of any real persecution in the region, which was considered a backwater to Münster anyway, but it did mean the Calvinists in de Achterhoek had to go to church in Dutch territory. So no religious freedom. Moving to another part of Gelderland wasn't an option, the rural areas there were never prosperous enough to support more farms.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted