Featured Lamp and fixture parts anyone!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dean Anderson, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Dean Anderson

Dean Anderson Well-Known Member

Started going through my dad's old lamp shop (I'll take some better pictures today and post them). My dad had a lamp shop where he would restore, repair, refinish, wire, rewire... just about anything to kerosene and gas lamp era lamps and fixtures. He became a premiere source for this type of work for some very high end antique stores in the Chicago-land area. But attempts to contact these stores have resulted in no responses. The people that had them, and ran them, have all changed. There's burners, wicks, chimneys, shades, cords, chain, ceiling plates, smoke chimneys, finials.. all kinds of "stuff"! I know these items are for a limited audience, but I would like to offer them here first and will be posting in the "for sale" area soon as I get pictures. I'm going to be pricing these items to sell, not to just show. There is SO much stuff! Once pictures and descriptions (as best as I can describe) are up, any help with the pricing and descriptions will be greatly appreciated. Happy Labor Day! Dean

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely interested. I'll keep an eye out for your listing in the Sell forum.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Dean Anderson

Thanks sabre123. Get a BIG truck and come to Chicago! Haha!

judy likes this.
  4. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Most interested myself. I restore oil lamps to keep me off the streets.

judy likes this.
  5. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

? student lap shade...broke mine about 5 years ago :(

judy likes this.
  6. Dean Anderson

Hello, please elaborate on "student lamp". Maybe some dimensions? I took a bunch of pictures, not everything, but a lot. And when I get home, I'll go through them, clean them up and post them. Thanks for your interest, I'm sure there's got to be something here you'd appreciate. Dean

bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  7. bobsyouruncle

Hi..I'm out of town working until Wednesday but will do measurements then. thank you for asking!!

judy likes this.
  8. Dean Anderson

It's a worthy hobby! I found some things my dad started, I may try to finish them. You know, I've literally been surrounded with this stuff my entire life, but unfortunately, never paid attention until now. I'll be posting items soon. Thanks again for your interest. Dean

9. Dean Anderson

I found a lot of shades yesterday, at least I think it's a lot, all different sizes and shapes. So dimensions will definitely help find the correct shade. Thanks!

judy likes this.
  10. Dean Anderson

Some of the file cabinet finds! I really need to brush up on my photography skills, only able to use some of the pictures I took yesterday.

2018-09-03 13.03.10.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.03.23.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.06.20.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.07.57.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.13.44.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.13.10.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.10.41.jpg
    2018-09-03 13.15.55.jpg

I left the dirt on the shades, easier to take it off than to put it back on! I've been looking on eBay, seams like a large source, to see what these things are going for. What I've found is not much is moving! But I'm not interested in keeping all this stuff, just don't have the room. If there's something you're interested in, please send me a message (hope that isn't against protocol).

11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I need a pair of shades for a brass lamp with 7" bases. Do you have any 7" pairs?

judy likes this.
  12. Dean Anderson

Next time I'm out at their house, I'll measure some and see what's available. Thanks!

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
  13. bobsyouruncle

Hi ..just measured the ring that holds the shade..7 inch :) thanks

14. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

WOW! Just looked at the first picture and it looks like the shade I have on an old brass floor lamp I love. Have been looking for years for another. I will look in the for sale threads. Your's looks shallower then mine, but I'd still like to have it!
    DSCN4214.JPG

judy likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bdigger,
    Just wanted to say that I had four of those shades in my 1905 farmhouse but they were hanging shades. Two were in the kitchen and two hanging in the stairwell. I thought about replacing them just to keep them but then remembered they were in the house originally. I hope the new owners kept them and did not throw them in the trash.:eek:
    greg

16. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Hi Greg.
    Looks like the op’s is a hanging shade too. Mine is deeper and works perfect on my floor lamp that used one of those oversized light bulbs. I married the lamp and shade years ago.

17. Dean Anderson

Nice shade! Please show the rest of the lamp.

18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  19. Dean Anderson

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's not flu season.....so shake it off and get well soon...:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted