Featured Large 19th c Persian Khatam vanity box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, May 5, 2017.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

This is a large Khatam box it was made in the late 19th c in Persia, it's overlaid with 10'000's of micro mosaics of bone, ivory, silver, gold, ebony, copper, and local woods. This sort of ware was collected by royalty and the rich alike. Khatam translated means encrusted, this example is in fantastic condition still having it's original mirror, it mast have spent it's entire existence out of harm's way as they are often missing lots of overlay....size 37cm x 28cm x 12cm DSCF2253 (Medium).JPG DSCF2250 (Medium).JPG DSCF2251 (Medium).JPG DSCF2254 (Medium).JPG DSCF2255 (Medium).JPG DSCF2261 (Medium).JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it.
    If you keep giving us treats like this we will end up with Stendhal syndrome:D.

Christmasjoy, 808 raver and judy like this.
  3. 808 raver

Thank you, but I think I should stop posting the obscure things in my collection because I'm not sure they resonate with other members? I'm new to this site and I'm not really sure how it works. Most members seem to be asking questions about their items not showing them off? Anyway I'll post some more common items and I do have one or two items I need help with so I'll do a post on them.

4. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

I've seen lots of posts here just to show others what they have. I've not seen any complaints about it, just lots of drooling. Since this forum is about learning, I'm sure your posts are welcome.

Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and 808 raver like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's just gorgeous!!!! NO complaints here!!!! I wonder if that took someone a lifetime to make????

Christmasjoy, 808 raver and lloyd249 like this.
  6. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

It's all good

808 raver likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree!
    I don't know if you've noticed, but people even show pictures of their dogs, ducks, etc. And we all enjoy them. We are all passionate about beautiful things and about sharing knowledge, fun, and anything a twist in a thread may throw our way.

8. 808 raver

Thank you all :) I'll keep posting but please when you are fed up please don't hesitate to say.

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. 808 raver

It would have taken a skilled person a good long while to make the inlays, these are made by gluing 1000's of thin strips together then sawing veneers off the block, today it's done with power tools but when this was made it was all done by hand. The box construction is crude, often with large woodworm holes in even before they started making the box, whether they had a wood shortage or all local woods have worm problems I don't know? But it's common to see original paint over these holes.

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I LOVE looking at your beautiful items, please keep them coming .. truly lovely, Joy.

lloyd249, 808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted