Large abstract painting signed Franklin ????

Discussion in 'Art' started by billyd3us, Sep 7, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I picked this up a few days ago, signed lower right in pencil, to me it looks like franklin but not to sure. Does anyone know who this artist might be ?

Thank You 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

charlie cheswick likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Billy, I see S-t-r something.

Debora

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Franz? No, changed my mind.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's kind of a cool looking piece. I always include a shot of the back of the piece -- there can sometimes be information there. High quality frame? Style of frame to help with dating?

This looks like it might be about 3ft tall, is that correct?

What I can't see from the photo -- is there a mat on it or does the picture just stop evenly as if there is a mat?

Try to get a few more shots of the signature.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

S. Trembly? Tremblay? Take it out of the frame and take some pics,it wont hurt anything. I think its stunning.

Jivvy likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'd take it out of the frame, too (in a hunt for additional info + better pics).

7. billyd3us

Hmm, Thanks

8. billyd3us

Okay all, I will take out of frame tomorrow after swap meet.

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I know you sometimes find interesting information if you take a work out of its frame, but there are also risks, especially with one as big as this seems to be. Do you have a large, very clean surface to work on? It is really hard to keep dust out once you open it, and you spend hours chasing down the specks that appear when you close it up again. The bottom edge of the artwork (shown in your photo of the signature) almost looks like it is painted/printed on a heavy paper. Can you tell if that is right? If so, can you tell if the glass/plexi actually touches the paper, or is there a mat that creates some space between the art and the glass? Sometimes large floppy things are framed as a pressure mount, where the glass, artwork and backing board are a tight sandwich. It might be difficult to get things realigned if you open it up. It has also become fairly common practice in contemporary framing to transfer any significant information to the back of the frame, so that people don't have to go through all this to see if there is anything. Other than getting a better photo of the signature, there may not be much to gain.

judy, cxgirl and Jivvy like this.
  10. billyd3us

Still haven't taken out of frame. The painting is on thick paper, glued to a backing board thick paper, glass is not touching the painting.

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Well, that reduces some of the risks.

12. billyd3us

Yes, Thank You

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted