Featured Large carved oak? wood box - age? what was its original use - jewelry? makeup?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Oct 11, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This was bought as part of a table lot from that never-ending estate auction that was happened over the last few months.

It is large measuring 13 1/2" by 9 3/8" across the bottom & 6" to the top of the lid.

It is carved but I don't know if it was done by hand or not. I am also unsure of the type of wood but possibly some type of oak. :confused:

It has a removable upper tray that appears to have been stripped of most of its cloth covering. The bottom portion is divided into 3 sections. The one velvet sect has a round raised spot with a depressed center possibly to hold a jar of some sort that measures 2" across the depressed area. There is a slotted piece in the back of that area that could possibly be for rings.

The lid does not have anything that would keep the lid vertical like a chain & there doesn't appear to have ever been one present. Consequently, the lid goes all the way back to a horizontal position.

There also is obviously something missing from the lid. The material is ripped & there is a wooden frame of sorts underneath. I thought possible a mirror but it is off-center & there are 2 pieces of wood that form a channel off to the right. :confused::confused::confused:

So what does everybody think - jewelry box, makeup box, sewing box, or other?

Homemade OAK or mass-produced? Pre-1900s, post-1900s, or later?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mass produced jewelry box.....I'd say..

judy and bercrystal like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It does look like a mirror. Maybe it was positioned off-centre because something relatively high was kept in the front compartment?

judy, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

This shape, sort of, but more Art Deco-ish:

[​IMG]

Gus Tuason, judy and bercrystal like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Oak, factory made, early 20th century 1930's to 40's I'd say.

judy, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  6. bercrystal

Thanks @komokwa @Any Jewelry @Ce BCA!! :happy::happy::kiss:

That was my thought also but if it was a jewelry box why a hand mirror rather than a stationary centered mirror? :confused::confused:

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I can't think of the word:banghead::banghead:, but it wasn't for jewellery. Think of the jars.

judy, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

toiletry set ?;)

judy, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

That's the one!:)
    I couldn't think of it in any language. Mind you, I just switched on my TV and every Dutch person seemed to be speaking Vietnamese or something.:wacky: My language centre clearly needed a break.:nurse:

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wonder if that is missing a musical movement.

Firemandk, judy and bercrystal like this.
  11. bercrystal

Thanks for the assist @komokwa!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

@Any Jewelry - We all have those days when we wonder if our brains aren't just a pile of scrambled eggs. :p:p :rolleyes::rolleyes: :kiss::kiss:

The other day I was wandering through a shop & saw a couple of Rose Medallion demitasse cups. I went to research them quickly about 2 minutes later & all I could remember was the word rose. No matter how hard I tried I could not recall the word medallion & had to resort to putting different search words into eBay till I found a listing. :(:(:facepalm::facepalm::bag::bag::bag:

That is another possibility. Thanks!! :happy::happy::kiss:

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing.

13. komokwa

"We all have those days when"

my Days....are turning into WEEKS !!!:sour:
    :sour:

14. Any Jewelry

Scrambled eggs is exactly the right term.:wacky::playful::kiss:
    And months, and years.:arghh:

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I suspect that hardware is older. It sure looks like 1880s aesthetic movement to me. upload_2021-10-12_10-40-52.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 and bercrystal like this.
  17. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Nice box. I'm going for it to be a jewelry box. Could the round concave item be pocket watch rest? Some of the older jewelry boxes did.

bercrystal likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I thought it was for a music box, but the round holder be about right for a watch.

Darkwing Manor and bercrystal like this.
  19. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would have thought this was older as well. Also based on the hardware. First thought was early 1900's, but honestly a guess.

No idea what is missing inside, but I'd look into the pocket watch rest. This seems too old to be one of those musical jewelry boxes.

It's a gorgeous box.

20. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

In reviewing comments and looking at the pics again, I think that is definitely a jewelry box. But in looking at pic #7, of the bottom of the lid, I see what looks like part of a snap, which would indicate that some item was snapped in. I think that "Any Jewelry" was on the right track with a hand held mirror. Perhaps the tray contained cosmetic or manicure tools? Ergo, the box served two purposes....

Draft saved Draft deleted