Large Chinese Prunus Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Mar 26, 2024.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever seen a prunus jar this big. 8 3/4" tall, this has no lid. Could someone tell me how old this might be? Maybe 19th century?

jar1.jpg jar2.jpg jar3.jpg jar4.jpg jar5.jpg jar6.jpg jar7.jpg jar8.jpg jar9.jpg

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It’s a nice one. I suggest early 19th c but could be earlier.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. kraftblue

John, I thought it was nice. Would have been better with the lid. Usually any prunus jar I find are small and crappy.

John Brassey likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I agree that this could be an older one, but there are so many, and this blue prunus design has been produced for yonks. Probably still is. I have one (with a lid, LOL) that my brother-in-law brought back from Hong Kong. It's vintage now!

John Brassey likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I read that these ones with the apocryphal kangxi double circle are late 19th to early 20th C which other sources have confirmed. Whether that is true or not us a different matter.

kentworld likes this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I used to buy these from car boots and Charity shops if, like yours they had the blue circle marks, a few blemishes and weren’t lightweight. The modern ones always seemed lighter in weight and sort of too bright and clean. Here’s a pic of some of mine, the small one is coming up to 3 inches tall, the biggest with lid about 8 inches. Sorry about the cobwebs:) I don’t really see many around in the Charity shops any more.
    IMG_4771.jpeg

7. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I still see them round quite often. A few places have cottoned on to their worth though now, so not always a bargain any more

Houseful likes this.
  8. kraftblue

Thanks Chin and Houseful. I think it was a good deal for what I paid.

Houseful and Chinoiserie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted