Featured Large cotton monogrammed draw string bag with opening in back - purpose??

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by bercrystal, Apr 21, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have 2 of these bags that I found among the piles of linen I bought a couple of weeks ago. They are 100% cotton, are monogrammed with a G which was the first letter of her last name, made in Italy & measure 20 3/4" by 15 3/4" across. There is a 7 1/4" long slit in the back.

So what do you think they might have beed used for? They are definitely to big for a hot water bottle. I thought about a laundry bag for your delicates, but they would come out the slit. :confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

A laundry bag for lingerie? You hang the bag and the slit is for putting new items in the bag?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lingerie or hosiery bag. Used in drawer or luggage, not laundry.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I had similar ones as a little girl, to keep my pyjamas in. My grandmother probably made mine, she was always making embroidered, monogrammed and lace-trimmed things.

kyratango, Pat P, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, nightdress or pyjama bag. The idea was one put one's nightie in it, then laid it on the pillow.

kyratango, Pat P, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A luxurious souvenir for someone. Company's still in business (and has been since 1870.) Given label, I would think yours isn't terribly old.

http://jesurum.it/en/collections/

Debora

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can see it being used to collect stockings for washing: put them in by ones or twos through the slit; open the drawstring to take them all out when ready.

Pat P likes this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I guess a lingerie bag it is then. I agree about the age of these pieces given the lace used on the trim. As with probably 99% of the stuff these were likely never used given the fact that they both have a yellowed spot where the price sticker was placed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had a large plush dog that came with a zipper on the belly to stash your jammies. :D:D

Thanks to everyone!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Figtree3, Jivvy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Peggy, mine was a big, velvety black cat, with the zipper down the back.
    I also had one that was an angel that appeared for about a month during the holidays.
    It's funny, but my own kids never wore the same pair of PJs two nights in a row - clothes always went into the laundry after one wearing. Different times, for sure.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had a yellow cat....zipper down the back............it's still here somewhere....with my old PJ's inside.

Any Jewelry, Pat P and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted