Featured Large gold & rough back turquoise pendant necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 14, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’d love some help please to unscramble this pendant.
    It would appear to be made up of a collection of parts.
    The main pendant is large at approximately 4.5cm long. There is no hallmark, tests very strong at 9ct gold but fades out at 14ct. It would appear to have been a brooch with the pin broken off maybe with the hallmark?
    Two dangles also with no hallmarks.
    The chain doesn’t hang correctly off the pendant and the two bails aren’t contemporary.
    One bail is stamped something that looks like 800 but isn’t. B?? It’s not silver or gold so not part of the original set up.
    The gold tone chain looks pretty elderly and has a registered design no on it but not easy to read.
    Any ideas please about this turquoise with the rough back? I’m clueless as to what makes one piece of turquoise better than another and why.
    Thanks for any help :)
    D6CAEAFB-1E17-4E61-8F35-01EF904F2FD8.jpeg 8B185647-0708-48CD-8682-A1ACD49271CA.jpeg 6573A6F3-82A4-4A6D-92F9-5AB0629CBC56.jpeg 10B6FEF2-8BE1-4D68-9B21-3D61C8DF1F44.jpeg 7C9BB4FF-C782-4063-8661-49A0604D89E6.jpeg 468A4389-31D4-4CBD-B21B-DFC15DF0A17E.jpeg 0647C1A9-E3FE-495C-A7A3-AC99954F20CB.jpeg 7C9806F8-9287-4A32-A6AF-F4821EED1B1F.jpeg 35A68A46-10AF-408C-8270-36E866E7FBD8.jpeg 06AB871C-D12E-4882-A25D-66605D45E979.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect Persian turquoise with that vivid colour. Agreed it started as a brooch.

Gus Tuason, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is that good?

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Oh yes. The best, imo. That and Afghan.

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ok, that’s good! Thankyou. I’ve googled like mad but can’t find anything like this with the rough back. Do you have any suggestions for search terms, style, age? All I can find are pretty little gold brooches, nothing like this monster!

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  6. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I will throw in my two cents as that is about all I have at the moment :)

Love the chain! I'd do some more research on that bit.

The color and matrix of the dangling bits does give the impression of Persian. I am not so confident on the brooch portion.

The two dangling stones are not matched to the brooch stone, nor do the settings. I would venture this was a marriage and would not be surprised if the two dangling stones at one point had another life as a matched pair of earrings. Jewelry makers tend to be persnickety about their stuff matching.

I always get excited with things like this as during the Victorian era it was not uncommon to take older piece and combine them with other bits to make "new" jewelry. (granted that is still done today) Personally, I would have my jeweler reset the pair of dangling turquoise as earrings (they'll sell much better) and have them find the actual center of weight on the converted brooch, so it hangs properly :)

Either way, nice little find you have.

7. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

8. Ownedbybear

I can see your point on the dangles, given the back is better finished. Earring backs would be visible, not so the brooch back. If they were added to the main brooch, it was done a long time ago and very well. The frames do match, so it was probably part of a parure.

For a UK sale, I'd leave it be. The cost of converting back would be high: you'd have to find a jeweller who was careful not to heat the turquoise for a start. And historical alterations go quite well here.

You could always run it past Tooveys.

KSW and judy like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

PS. Not that I'd sell it, obvs.

judy likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Do you think it has a reasonable value? I know we don’t do values on here but an £800 vets bill means something has to go. Have you used Tooveys? I’ve been shocked by our local commission fees!

I don’t want to but needs must.

judy likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I've used Tooveys in the past for good jewellery: some bashed up butterscotch amber! That's a nice lump of turquoise.

It can't hurt to email them. Yes, the commission isn't cheap but they get good prices.

KSW and judy like this.
  12. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I like the main stone a lot. The rough back being the host rock with the turquoise being a thin seam that was cut and polished parallel to its strike. It looks as though it was ground and polished unevenly to follow its thinness. This, I believe, verifies that this stone is definitely NOT a counterfeit stone and that the piece is one of a kind. The use of gold for the setting indicates that the creator felt that it was worth the trouble. To me, it ups its value above a run-of-the-mill piece. I'm not impressed by the dangles.

George Chaney and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou, all very useful food for thought.

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ll email them some photos and see what they say. Thanks for the advice :)

Ownedbybear likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

But do you know what you have? The large stone looks like Chrysocolla with Malachite or possibly low grade Eilat stone,not turquoise. The turquoise cabs were added as were the jump ring for the bail.

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No,That’s why I’m here!

It didn’t occur to me that it might not be turquoise, I’ll do some research looking at those. Thankyou.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Looks dead right for old Persian turquoise to me. See what Tooveys say.

BoudiccaJones, stracci and Gus Tuason like this.
  18. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Wow, it's really beautiful ❤️

Draft saved Draft deleted