Featured Large Heavy Porcelain Armorial (?) Plate w/ Birds, Insects & Deer - Japanese, Chinese or Persian?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SYNCHRONCITY, Apr 24, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

For years I thought this plate was Persian or Islamic. On the back is a mark with two rampant lions holding sabers with wavy tongues coming out of their mouths and they looked Islamic or Persian to me. Then tonight I looked at it closer and realized that under the lions were a rising sun symbol with what appears to be Mount Fuji. It is really, really heavy and weighs 2 pounds 12 ounces and is 12 inches in diameter. I guess it is not a plate, but a platter or a charger of some sort.

There is a shield with a crest(?) with a crown and rampant lion of some sort on the top middle orientation of the plate. Around the border are birds, butterflies, what appears to be cherry blossoms and flower and leaf designs. In the center is a scene with two deers, or reindeer type of animals with a bird on a blossom tree peering down on them.

The plate looks hand painted. There are also areas of raised paint, brushstrokes and gold gilding. I have no idea how old it is or if it is one of those Pier One Import type of cheap decorator plates, but what I do know is someone went through a lot of work just to paint all these designs. In a small spot on the back of the plate is a little red painted heart with the number 12 in it. For all I know it is a piece of contemporary junk, but I was just curious if anyone knew whether it was Japanese? How old is it? What is the style of this plate's decoration called and does anyone recognize this maker's mark? Regardless of what it is, I think it is pretty. Thanks in advance for your help.

**P.S. Sorry my pictures are lousy. I took the photos indoors and the lighting was crappy because of the low light situation, so the pictures might be too overexposed AJ 1.jpg AJ 2.jpg
    AJ 3.jpg
    AJ 4.jpg AJ 5.jpg AJ 6.jpg AJ 7.jpg AJ 8.jpg AJ 9.jpg AJ 10.jpg .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    dude, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is indeed an oddball piece!

The design outlines are printed and the colour is added by hand - subject matter is a bit of a mish-mash, primarily based on Chinese export I suppose, although with over-the-top everything but the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure!

The mark is just as mystifying, almost like a royal crest a la Brunei with the good ol rising sun in the middle ...almost suggesting an occupying power ...but that's probably just my imagination!
    Hopefully another member can clarify what the heck this is - it's something I've never seen before.

Quite an attractive piece none the less!

dude, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  3. SYNCHRONCITY

Thank you! :joyful: It's a Franken Plate, lol :D I loved reading your comment by the way.

I appreciate your reply and hopefully someone will tell me it didn't recently come from Marshall's or one of those bargain basement decorator stores, lol. I hate when that happens to me. I am hoping for at least the early 20th century. Cross your fingers for me. If it was made in 1983, I will have fun taking a hammer to it just to get my frustration out for being locked up for so long due to Covid19. Just kidding :p

dude, NewEngland, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

dude, bercrystal, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. SYNCHRONCITY

Lol! You went down the google rabbit hole. The same thing happens to me when I go on youtube and find myself watching some of the videos they recommend. I often ask myself "how did I get here"? ;):D

Maybe it is some kind of jackolope animal of some sort? Hee hee :joyful:
    Thanks so much for the link I am about to get lost for a little bit to check it out.

6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thought there might be something in that squiggle but instead found some extremely sloppy paintwork.:bag::bag:
    AJ 2.jpg

7. SYNCHRONCITY

Hi and thanks for the reply. Instead of a lion, could it be the illusive unicorn? It does look like a 2 year old painted it. :D

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A lot of things with human faces that shouldn't have them & haunted everyday articles. I've met the woman whose face reflects as that of an old man - I see her in the mirror every morning.

janetpjohn, kyratango, blooey and 3 others like this.
  9. SYNCHRONCITY

I see the same person too. Maybe we are twins perhaps? There is not enough make-up in the world that can help me :D

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  10. SYNCHRONCITY

I forgot to mention I pray you are staying safe. I see your profile says you are from NYC. I'm in Long Island hiding from the Covid monster too.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Back-mark looks like a simplified version of the Imperial Iranian coat of arms (Pahlavi)...

~Cheryl

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@DragonflyWink Good call. Wiki says it was created in 1926
    upload_2020-4-23_22-58-36.png

I was going to say (before Cheryl posted)
    That I thought it was a newer item from China. The mark on the back is too heavy an over glaze. Just doesn't look right.
    upload_2020-4-23_23-0-30.png

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

close...but it looks forced...

14. SYNCHRONCITY

That is very interesting. Thanks for finding that for me. Could this be a coronation plate of some sort? If my comment doesn't make sense I apologize. This is really not my usual forte. I usually collect antique German and French bisque head dolls so anything porcelain, pottery and glass is way out of my league.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  15. SYNCHRONCITY

In person the mark is not so dark. The color in person is more like a washed out red color. My pictures were taken indoors at night and all the pictures came out too saturated. If it is a nice day out tomorrow I can take better pics in the daylight.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  16. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks to all of you who are trying to help me. I really appreciate it very much : )

17. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

No thanks needed ----- we're bored:D:D

Debora, komokwa, janetpjohn and 5 others like this.
  18. SYNCHRONCITY

Love you guys!!

19. SYNCHRONCITY

A few years ago I really thought it was Persian and then I flip flopped thinking it was Japanese tonight. Now I am not sure if it is some cheap Chinese imposter. Lol. I am glad you guys are here to help me figure this out. I can't sleep so this board is great because there are so many threads to read about antiques.

20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Even if it is a recent (as in the last 30 years) import from China, it still has decorative value.

There is a lot of workmanship.

I don't know anything about Irani design.
    But the border with prunus, roses and butterflies is definitely used a lot in Chinese decor.

Draft saved Draft deleted