Featured Large Marano glass vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Martin s, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

Picked this vase up thinking it might be Marano glass but not sure.Cant see any obvious markings on the vase.

I love the shape,size and colours of the vase.

It quite large it measures 20 inches tall and 11 inches approx at widest point.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this type of glass?would love to know possible age too.

Thanks for any info. JPEG_20240206_143035_resize_32.jpg JPEG_20240206_143115_resize_55.jpg JPEG_20240206_143134_resize_37.jpg JPEG_20240206_143159_resize_50.jpg JPEG_20240206_143253_resize_63.jpg JPEG_20240206_143422_resize_6.jpg

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Murano. I suspect relatively modern Asian. Nicely done.

aaroncab, *crs*, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece Martin,but sadly I agree w/ OBB-looks like one of the numerous Chinese Muranos I've got in the vault.

4. Martin s

Thank you for the info.couldnt find similar size and similar shaped vases to compare it to.

Are Murano vases usualy signed do you know

Thanks again

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The majority of Murano glass isn’t signed, unless it’s a well known furnace. Some had labels. It’s a minefield.

aaroncab and Martin s like this.
  6. bosko69

Most genuine ones I've seen here had metallic stickers,but BEWARE-someone's most likely forging the stickers !

7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

contemporary spatter glass - does it have a greasy feel to it? Sometimes that will be a dead give away for newer Chinese production.

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. Martin s

Was feeling it there compared to other glass vase i have which is waterford crystal and it does not seem to have a noticibly greacy feel to it i think.

The one other thing i noticed about it is that it is not perfectly ovoid.Heres another picture you might see what i mean.
    When picking the vase up I thought it might have been hand blown but i could be completly wrong. JPEG_20240206_200828_resize_96.jpg

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My feeling also is that this is Chinese. China is doing a lot of art glass, some of it has a well made look. As Bear said, it's a minefield.

Martin s likes this.
  10. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I don't see any mold seams to indicate it isn't blown - the finished or fire polished pontil is there. You will note the absence of a lot of scratches on the bottom. Glass will show wear from years of contact with a shelf. Sometimes people will intentionally age the wear on the bottom which IMHO is a lot of trouble to go to for something in the $20 range.

11. Martin s

Thanks Laura for the info

12. bosko69

Draft saved Draft deleted