Large Old Hopi Kachinas...

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Tzvia, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Tzvia

Tzvia New Member

I was at a local antique shop about 5 years ago and spotted these two sad Kachinas in sad shape. I love Native American jewelry, rugs and pottery but Kachinas are outside my wheelhouse. However, these two spoke to me; I had to rescue them from further degradation so I bought them. The Mudhead, about 1" taller than the Ogre Woman, stands 18.5" tall from the foot (not the bottom of the base), so these aren't the 7"~9" tall Kachinas I am more used to seeing in my travels. I know zero about them other than what I see and can read on their undersides. Trying to find out the carver, who's mark appears to be the outline of a foot 'branded' into the underside. Wondering if anyone here could shed light on who that person is or anything else about them? Thanks.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Your photos are private and no one can see them.... directions for posting photos https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

i need help and kyratango like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If you change the Private setting to Public, the pictures will appear in your post.

i need help likes this.
  4. Tzvia

Tzvia New Member

Thanks, missed that. I set the album as public so should now be visible.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just a brief background information. First, they are, technically, kachina dolls...not kachinas. It's a distinction pueblo carvers are careful to point out. And secondly, only kachina dolls carved from cottonwood root, by Hopi, Zuni, and a handful of other pueblo tribal members, can be considered authentic kachina dolls.

The Navajo, and scores of non-Native America carvers, make similar carved figures, and some even call them by the names of actual kachinas, but they are not considered authentic. They may be copied from published photos of real kachina dolls, or they may be complete fantasies, but they are made strictly for sale as souvenirs.

That said, there are some signs that these may fit into the latter category, rather than being authentic. Hopi carvers generally sign with their name and village, rather than a "hallmark," or the older ones may not be signed at all.

I am not familiar with the "brand" mark. Also, the square base is not traditional. It should be a round slice of cottonwood, or no base at all. And if the "69" is a date, that would be non-traditional as well.

The main thing that doesn't appear "right" is the large size, and the fact that neither figure conforms to the standard description. A Koyemsi isn't a kachina, he's a clown. He doesn't have blue/green tab ears, or wear blue/green moccasins. He wears a black neck scarf, not a ruff.

The Soyoko should be wearing red or white moccasins, and if she's from First Mesa, should have a beard. Neither one should be wearing the little pouch around the neck.

So I have no idea who carved these, but I wouldn't put much faith in what is written on the bottoms. But they so distinctively non-traditional, that if they are authentic, someone should be able to identify who did them.

reader, Lucille.b, Figtree3 and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted