Large Plaque.... any idea who it is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gabatgh, Feb 27, 2017.

1. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

So I inherited this plaque. It is thirteen inches high and eighteen inches wide. It is thirty eight pounds. In each corner in the back there is a threaded hole that does not come through to the front.

The only signature appears to be on the bottom right and seems to be H70.

My father-in-law bought it in 1972 from a dealer in Michigan who thought this was Charles Lindburgh. I have been in indirect contact with Reeve Lindburgh and she's certain it's not her dad.

Many people have suggested it might be Frank Sinatra. I've been in direct contact with Nancy, who is positive it's not her dad.

Abe Lincoln was another thought. I've been in contact with the Railsplitter and they don't think it is him either.

The spots on the piece are from the egg crate foam that it was sitting in from about 1972 to 2013.

It sure does look like Bill Nye though. I even emailed him and asked if he wanted to buy it, but I haven't heard from him.

Now you know what I know.
    plaque1.jpg plaque2.jpg plaque3.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Why is he laying in the grass staring at clouds? That has to be a clue.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I don't believe that is C.A.L.
    -
    I would like to connect with Reeve though please. :)

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I think the artist may have been aiming for young Henry Ford. The jawline and bow tie aren't really right.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  6. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Well spotted. I thought it was a plane wreck!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

My first thougt was a young Lincoln depicted dreaming in the grass, but his hair would not be cut this short on the sides and the bowtie not right. Thinking of Lincoln brought up my second thought, poet, author, etc... Carl Sandburg. His most noted works were on Lincoln. The subject matter would fit a dreaming poet. Sandburg was noted for his bowties especially in his younger years. He did wear bowties in later years but also regular ties. 2 elements now make me think *not* Sandburg are the neatness and shorthess of his hair on top and having a slight grim. Sandburg had more hair on top and parted his hair almost in the middle with the sides of the part hanging down. Just about all pictures of him, formal and informal, has the hair hanging down. A more serious facial expression was used by him and the artists depictions of him.

Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site. Click the small thumbnails on the left to see other pics of him in bowties, especially those under "Writer Introduction" section.
    https://www.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/carl/imgGal.html
    https://www.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/carl/story/PrairieTownBoy/CARL26796_painting.html
    https://www.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/carl/pencil/poet/CARL23063Sandburglecturerecitalposter.html
    https://www.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/carl/pencil/newspaperman/CARL7877SandburgCreditUnknown.html

Now I haven't a clue who it is, but with the dreaming young man lying in the grass does make me think a poet - not Robert Frost. If this is a person of note, I'm surprised his name isn't on it somewhere.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  8. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Don Ackerman, the Railsplitter's editor, as well as the Consignment Director in the Historical Department as Heritage Auctions for a number of years, didn't think so. Neither did an number of other experts in the field of political antiques.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Susan, thanks for your insightful thoughts.

Your point that I quoted is something that is a real possibility. This may not be a person of note. This could be a private sale, someone hiring the sculptor to make this piece for a family memorial or something. I'm well aware we might not ever know.

It's just that it's so darn heavy! Don thinks it'd sell for a few hundred dollars. I wonder if it would fit into a USPS flat rate box :p

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  10. Ladybranch

Just found your query on the Railsplitter's website. They are asking if anyone knows who this is. They noted elements of mountain, clouds, and birds. I had noticed the mountain, 1 high mountain. This mountain brought up the thought of Robert Frost who lived and loved New Hampshire with the White Mountains, Mountain Washington. I do not think it is Frost for the profile is wrong and he wasn't noted for bowties. I'm leaning towards my first thought of Lincoln.
    http://railsplitter.com/?page_id=3655

--- Susan

Edit: The mountains certainly don't scream Lincoln for neither Illinois or the area of Kentucky where Lincoln lived had such mountains. Artistic license probably come into play with this piece.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

Could that sig. be 2 stylized initials with "70" for year done?

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  12. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

As I said, everyone sees that as H70.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

Hello?

14. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

gabatgh likes this.
  16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

17. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

KingofThings likes this.
  18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The back board that was screwed to the plaque probably held the plate identifying the guy. The church I help restore had 20 to 30 of these types of bronze memorials which were ID'd that way.
    greg

gabatgh and KingofThings like this.
  19. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

So you're saying the id plate was the full size of the plaque? I've never seen that.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted