Large thrift store painting find - Matador or Napoleon? Help w/Signature?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 17, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I know the title must sound funny. I found this painting today at a local thrift store. On my way home I stopped by a friend's 2nd hand shop - his wife saw the painting & said it was Napoleon, but I am thinking it's a matador or Spanish person?
    Also the signature is faint - I think I see Tex or maybe Felix?
    Any thoughts on it - not a factory painting right?
    (the hands/fingers look better than the last one I liked!)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 2AA_AA RESIZED.jpg ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 2xxxAA_AA RESIZED.jpg ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 3BAA.jpg ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 2xxxAA_AA RESIZED.jpg

2. journeymagazine

Taken with phone sorry - camera pics won't open on computer photo app; maybe memory card needs to be replaced?

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Maybe Torero José Tomás. Seems to have been a popular subject for paintings.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As he's wearing a suit of lights... matador for sure.

Debora

kyratango and reader like this.
  5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

And definitely NOT Napoleon!

6. journeymagazine

Here is painting by camera; can anyone make out/recognize artist name?
    PS - Is this a good painting?

ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 5AA NEW.JPG ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 5AAA NEW.JPG ART PAINTING MATADOR NAPOLEON 3AAA.jpg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would call it an example of 1960s kitsch. Anything on the back?

Debora

8. journeymagazine

Cardboard covering the canvas

9. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

That's an answer.

10. journeymagazine

I don't understand? It's cut perfectly to size and stapled to back - what's wrong with that?

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

kyratango likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Debora -the signature on yours is as light/hard to read as mine is - could mine be by Soler too?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It could be signed Soler. But I'm not sure "Soler" was a real artist. There's nothing about him on the internet. And with just a quick comparison between the two paintings, they don't appear to be by the hand of the same artist. (I could be wrong; others are welcome to disagree.) Models very similar, although one somewhat older, and the trajes de luces are identical.

Debora

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    kyratango likes this.
  15. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with a cardboard covering. It just suggests to me that the painting is not an antique. I don't see many conservationists stapling cardboard to frame versos. If the cardboard is original, it's most certainly not 19th century (or even pre-WW2).

kyratango likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the sitter's sideburns, 1970s I'd suspect.

Debora

kyratango and techbiker like this.
  17. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I think Your's is a nice commercial interior decor piece (as mentioned frm the 60's-70's)-professionally done. Def not a Goya,Velasquez,Zuruban,etc.
    Journey-Does Your pal's Thriftstore ever get any Jewelry ? There's an expert community here who can ID & appraise the stuff-worth a shot ? Some of the resale value of old 'bling' is stratospheric.
    PS-I know zero about jewelry so I'd be flying blind & would only buy if dirt cheap...but who knows what might come out of West Palm..

18. journeymagazine

There's a group of early pickers like me who head straight to jewelry counter - I have my own route when doors open that starts in aisle where paintings are - I don't push into in their spot & they don't push in mine!

19. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Excellent Journey ! I still run to the Art Section-I still have so much to learn about Jewelry.A lotta the screamer finds on this Board (aka 'here's somethin' I snagged for a buck'),is most definitely Jewelry.But our folks here definitely have done,and still do their homework.

silverbell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted