Large Vaseline Glass Covered Compote-Who Made Me?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lew Fisher, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

I would appreciate any input on this 12" (heavy) glass covered bowl on stem. Color is a rich, creamy vaseline. Cover and bowl have blown-out optics, sort of honeycomb. I'm wondering about the country of origin and the maker. Could it be from the 1960's do you think? Empoli perhaps? Any thoughts are welcome. DSCN0056.JPG DSCN0057.JPG DSCN0058.JPG DSCN0059.JPG

2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Hi! Very nice. If you have a black light, go into a dark room and check and see if it fluoresces. If it is Vaseline or depression glass it will GLOW! Back then there was uranium oxide added to the content in the glass. If it does glow it is made prior to 1930. Reproductions don't generally glow.

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

While uranium salts weren't really available to U.S. glass makers through most of the 1940s-'50s, it was fairly common from the '60s on - Fenton and Mosser are two firms that immediately come to mind, but there were others, and so far as I know, Mosser still produces vaseline glass. Uranium glass was not uncommon in mid century Murano and Empoli glass, and I'd guess this candy jar is Empoli - my black light also reveals it in fairly recent studio glass pieces, mixed batches of modern Chinese-made beads, and brand new 'glow-in-the-dark' marbles are readily available...

~Cheryl

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Empoli is what came to mind when I saw it.
    I don't believe it is old(as in 1890s) vaseline glass.
    Looks 1970s to me.

UncleChuckTX and cxgirl like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks 1970s to me too, Cluttered, thanks!

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'd go with Empoli, myself. ca. 1955-1970. That's Italian.

7. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Really appreciate your input.

Draft saved Draft deleted