Featured Large Vintage Hand Carved Buffalo Signed 1980

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, May 2, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Nicely carved. Could the name be Russian or Polish? I have tried numerous spellings and can't seem to get a match. Any thoughts? Came out of a mountain estate - hoarder in North Georgia mountains. Approx. height 11.5 in., width 12.25 in., depth 6 in.
    IMG_5725.jpg IMG_5727.jpg IMG_5732.jpg IMG_5733.jpg IMG_5728.jpg IMG_5729.jpg IMG_5730.jpg IMG_5731.jpg

Boland, smallaxe and komokwa like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I suspect Polish, and Latin script. Poland has an important wisent or European bison population.

3. laura9797

Do you think it says Puszcza Bialowieska - "Białowieża Forest is a forest on the border between Belarus and Poland. It is one of the last and largest remaining parts of the immense primeval forest that once stretched across the European Plain. The forest is home to 800 European bison, Europe's heaviest land animal"

4. Any Jewelry

That's it!:)
    Yes, world famous in all of Europe.:hilarious:
    Seriously, I've seen documentaries on the forest, it is an impressive region. It shows what much of Europe once looked like.

5. laura9797

wondering if the first name is the artist? IMG_5744.jpg

6. Any Jewelry

I don't think so, it could be Polish for National Park or something?
    @Figtree3 , I know it isn't Russian, but does it resemble a Russian word you know?

laura9797 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I looked around a bit for a similar Russian word but didn't find one. I can't fully make out all of the letters. Was thinking that if the first word is not a name it might be part of a longer official name for the forest. Everything I saw just calls it by the two words, though... not three. Sorry I can't help!

laura9797 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It’s Hajnowka in Poland - the nearest large town to the forest. Similar to finding a carved souvenir bear in the US labeled Gatlinburg Smoky Mountain Forest. https://www.smokymountains.co/gatlinburg/

9. laura9797

Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Excellent!

Draft saved Draft deleted