Featured Large vintage rhinestone brooch signed "N"

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was curious if anyone knows a maker that just signs with the letter "N". (See 3rd photo)

I do see one of the stones is missing, and interesting that one of the green stones seems to be foiled. Any help on the maker?

Thanks!

n1.jpg n2.jpg n3.jpg n4.jpg

cxgirl, KSW, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That looks like a dress clip someone remade into a pin. No idea on whodunnit. It doesn't look like New England Glass Works but it could be Napier.

3. Lucille.b

Thanks. :happy:

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've got a bag of similar dress clips but none have the open back like the green ones.
    Are the clear gems prong set or glued in?
    Mine are mostly all glued in too rather than prong set so possibly this is a more quality piece. I wonder if the green stones are original or replacements?. The foil one almost certainly has been replaced.

Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect Napier. Yes, someone replaced that stone, it's also a different hue.

KSW, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think that is the Napier mark. Believe it is usually spelled out "Napier".

The design has Art Deco elements. I would say 1930s-40s.

KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thanks. I'm just going through some older jewelry for a possible sale and I think this will be sold as a craft/repair piece. I'll ask my happy price, but would be hard to find that one missing stone.

What is interesting about the foil stone that seems to be a replacement ... on the top it is a dead ringer for the others which have a fairly complicated set of facets. Almost wondered if during manufacturing they changed sources on the stones and had to use one foiled one. In the hand you cannot see any difference in color, but in the photos could, just a bit. (Good eye, OBB.) I think the hue is slightly impacted by the fact that it is closed on the back with the foil.

No huge matter either way, whether that one was original or not, this has other issues. Agree with dating and that it had been a replaced dress clip. KSW, for your question, I think a combination of glue and set. There are two prongs holding the green stones, whether they were also glued, cannot tell.

Friends, I have another piece right along these lines with a question. Going to post now.

Thank you.

KSW likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Lucille, take measurements and post info in the "Wanted" thread, you never know, someone may have a matching stone for you :)

clutteredcloset49 and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted