Featured Large White Jade Figures in a Shadow Box -Help!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 29, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I stopped by an estate sale today - big mistake. The former owner was a world-travelled collector. Luckily, I got there late on the second day. I couldn't pass up these white jade figures in a shadow box, though, so I need your help in discovering what they are and if they have any age.

I think the figures are Chinese as I recognize the symbols. There are words at the top that I can't interpret. While the presentation does not lend itself to see the translucency, I am hoping they are white jade, but I don't know the quality.

It is a very large piece measuring almost 3 ft by 3 feet (30 inches by 31 inches). I have no idea where it will go in my house. The jade figures are approximately 10 inches tall. The width of the box is 2 inches, and the figures take up most of that space. The bottom of the figures are almost 7 inches of white jade each. The top figures are glued on.

I included the back, which is covered in a velvet type of material. Pictures were difficult because of the glass. I apologize for their poor quality. The estate sellers had no information, but the place was jammed packed with beautiful treasures. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I hope I didn't throw my money away.

IMG_3638.jpg IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3635.jpg IMG_3644.jpg IMG_3641.jpg IMG_3640.jpg IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3630.jpg

Boland, judy, Hi2022 and 2 others like this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looks like stone. Might be a tourist piece for a decorative use.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Frankly, I would be surprised at this. She lived in a multimillion-dollar house overlooking the ocean. Granted that wouldn't necessarily mean she wouldn't hang a tourist piece on her walls, but a lot of her stuff was good quality.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    judy and Hi2022 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

dear Kiko......
    I don't know if it's good or not......I'm not seeing mutton fat jade though....
    so, maybe it was worth a shot...but,
    just because the house was grand..........means nothing about it's contents ...

hell, it could have even been a gift from her in-laws that she had to display. ...
    :meh::inpain::inpain::inpain:

personally.....I've never seen fine jade displayed in such a poor manner....:yuck::yuck:

judy, Any Jewelry, Hi2022 and 3 others like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The text says 'Dragon Phoenix Jade Pair' (upside down in the images)

Boland, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Serpentine carvings inspired by historical jades.
    Chinese items in a shadow box are usually made as souvenirs.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Hi2022 like this.
  7. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

Whatever they are, they are really nice pieces.

KikoBlueEyes and Hi2022 like this.
  8. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

Yep, looks like stone to me also!

KikoBlueEyes and Hi2022 like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you Komo. I’ve been having problems with my laptop (I think cats stomping across it) so I wasn’t able to respond to your thoughts right away. While I never thought it was fine jade, I thought they might be older pieces. Live and learn. Thank you for taking a look and commenting.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Hi2022 and komokwa like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Terrific. I appreciate the translation. I can’t tell right side up though I went to some calligraphy classes. I was amazed to find out the difficulty in learning - the vast number of characters. So, I very much appreciate your help.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent information. I’ll be more wary of such things in the future. I had hoped for something original but copies are as close as I will ever get. Thank you.

Any Jewelry, Hi2022 and komokwa like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Rob. Thank you. I am happy with my purchase. I love Chinese iconography. I was hoping for older pieces but now I have a sort of benchmark for assessing future opportunities.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for Janice. That’s seems to be the consensus. I was hoping for jade but actually it would have been quite a bargain if it was real.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

always a pleasure ....!
    no need to worry about timing..!:kiss:

Hi2022 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted