Large wool 14 ft. blanket or something

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Feb 27, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I just picked this up at my local thrift store $1.00, what do you guys think of it, it feels like wool and or mohair mix, the ends have been sewn with seams. It's approx. 14 ft.
    At first I thought it might have been a Native American Indian Chief's blanket but, I think not or what ?

Thank You

Billy D. 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It is two blankets. They came from the mill that way and were ripped apart at the store. Uncommon to find them still together.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Billy, but seeing the size of that piece, all I could think of was Penelope in Homer's Odyssey, weaving all day & un-weaving at night... (This might have been the night she wasn't able to "undo" her work!)

4. billyd3us

I wish I knew what mill, Thanks Terry

KingofThings likes this.
  5. billyd3us

Wow, I wish it was hers.

KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It seems that in commercial blankets it's the tag that sells them

KingofThings likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Billy, there ARE folks out there who would love to have this for the fabric alone! (I, myself, would love to use it for an as-yet-unimagined project of some sort!)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Woven, not stirred with 2 cubes!! No really, great buy for 1$! My wife is really involved in fibres from raw wool and alpacas to making it into fiber to spinning it to knitting clothing out of it - she says "Looks like a Mohair, Wool blend"!

Draft saved Draft deleted