Large Yellow Clay Stand?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 6, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

C616B94A-E71C-4B3A-8A98-F7AB707D013E.jpeg 22EB5633-84F9-4777-801F-E52A1BAB0DE8.jpeg 2C8C8CD2-229B-4263-A9B7-444B3539ECE1.jpeg Any thoughts on age, origin, purpose etc?

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

How tall is it?

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  3. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

It's a base for a birdbath or a gazing ball.

It's difficult to determine age as they can still be purchased today in some areas. I have 2 that I purchased new in the last decade or so. One I use for a gazing ball, the other for the matching birdbath.

They are most often found at small road side places. There use to be a place that sold them along Interstate 44 in Missouri, that is where I bought my last one

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    judy, Bronwen, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Bird bath base.

judy, Bronwen, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

A nice one!

Bronwen, i need help and kyratango like this.
  6. kardinalisimo

Will measure a bit later. To me it looks like having some age but you never know with such pieces.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. kardinalisimo

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. msgood2shoe

Not exactly. Plus, both of my bases have a reddish stain fired on, the birdbath top doesn't and is the color of your piece.

BTW, I actually have a piece of glass that came from a plant that made plate glass windows. My Dad's neighbor worked there, and when they had to shut the glass furnaces down for maintenance, the glass at the bottom had to be smashed out. There is a word for pieces like this that begins with a C, but I can't think of it LOL

IMG_2252.jpg IMG_2249.jpg

judy, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cullet?

10. msgood2shoe

Yes, thank you.

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

mgood2shoe - your birdbath was made by Robinson Ransbottom. It was still in their catalog in 2002. I couldn't find the other two bases.
    Don

12. msgood2shoe

Thanks Don. I really wasn't concerned about who made it. I will use it until I forget to turn the top over before a hard freeze :)

Any Jewelry, dgbjwc and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted