Featured Larkin side by side china cabinet and buffet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by wcubed, Nov 3, 2019.

1. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

This piece is something I can't find anywhere online. There are plenty of examples of various forms of Larkin desks and desk combos, but this one has me stumped. As a result, I have no real idea of it's worth. Any ideas?

It was purchased by my great grandmother in 1905, and has been in the family ever since. Original finish with original uncracked curved front glass and original mirror.

Larkin1resize.jpg
    Larkin2resize.jpg
    Larkin3resize.jpg
    Larkin4resize.jpg
    Larkin5resize.jpg

Ghopper1924, Joe2007 and Michael77 like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME wcubed !!! .. VERY nice indeed !! The furniture folk will be here shortly ... Joy. :)

Ghopper1924 and Michael77 like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well for one, it looks like a dresser...not a desk.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. Larkin is known for their desks (as well as their soap of course) from what little reading I've done on them, which this is not.

I can't find an example of a china cabinet/buffet.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is a higher end piece for Larkin but they are not known for exceptional quality. I think value would be similar to other side by side combinations. Really depends on where you are and selling venue. Values are down right now. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, we would be under $400 at retail. Significantly less at auction or in other wholesale selling situations. You would probably do better in or near a large city.

Ghopper1924, Joe2007 and wcubed like this.
  6. wcubed

wcubed Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand about location. For instance, probably no one in Florida would want it as it is a Northern piece of furniture. dark colored woood does not sell well there, as my mother found out.

I am still in Upstate NY, and antique stores here have some pretty high prices on pretty much everything antique for the NYC people who come up here to shop.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

My grandfather had a similar piece to this in his home. Passed down through the generations. Same shelved bookcase/displaycase but the other half was a bit different. My cousin ended up purchasing it at the auction since it was selling so cheaply (my aunt's were horrified at the prices for the "good" antique furniture). She ended up paying $325 for it.

judy, Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

More like a desk/vitrine combination. Not in demand here in the U.S. Midwest, as Brad intimated. However, this is a beautiful piece and it's unusual to have this kind of exact provenance. I'd just keep it and enjoy it, at least for the foreseeable future.

James Conrad likes this.
  9. DanaB

DanaB Active Member

I have one like this that was passed down from my parents in oak similar to this one. But mine is flipped and has a secretary under the mirror on the right. Then under that there are 2 drawers then a larger storage area that open to the right. The left side is a glass case like you have on your right. We have always called ours the secretary but yours doesn't contain one. Mine is in medium to dark oak. Yours appears to be wider than mine is too. And it does look like there's 2 storage areas at the bottom on the left as mine has the 1.

Hope this helps,
    Dana

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Always nice to hear of 100 plus year old furniture which is family owned since new. Also great to see it in what appears to be the original finish - in the 70's & 80's many were refinished to a light oak, which takes all the soul of of them . . IMO.

wcubed, DanaB and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted