Featured Last of a large collection.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by popsycat, Apr 22, 2020.

1. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I used to collect these brooches, Ruskin set etc; I just kept these and sold all the rest about 10 years ago.[​IMG]

Fid, Bronwen, pearlsnblume and 19 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Those are just beautiful!

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do love those. I buy them whenever I see them. The ones you've kept are unusual, too

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. popsycat

It was easier to find them in the UK. Never see them here. Some people had no imagination when making them and others could be really good depending, on how artistic and skilled the maker was. By the way bear, have you noticed the sewing bee is back tonight on the telly. YEAH!! Real people doing real things instead of z list celebrities.

6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

In reference to the piece in the lower right hand corner: this is the third time in the last week that I have seen this 'stone'...never have seen it before! It has been identified variously as a composite called Tru-Stone, Mosaic Jasper, Rainbow Jasper, Sea Sediment Jasper and Rainbow Casilica. Can anyone shed any light on this 'stone'? I do love the color combination!

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. popsycat

I have looked at it through a loupe and I cannot work out what it is. It does look artificial though. I may be wrong. That particular brooch has "sterling silver front" on the back of it.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Those are ALL LOVELY pieces, Popsycat!!! You picked great ones to keep!!:happy::happy:

popsycat likes this.
  9. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

It does seem like it must be a composite...the colors just don't look natural; I am certainly no expert though. Hopefully an actual expert will comment...

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Composite made from crushed stones and resin...... https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/collections/trustone

popsycat, kyratango and wenna like this.
  11. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Outstanding designs and colors. I love them!

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous!

I have to confess, I don't know anything about this type of brooch. Must not be too common in the U.S. Can see they are Arts and Crafts era styling, really nice.

When you say "some people had no imagination when making them" Is "Ruskin" a general category as opposed to a specific maker? Are they ever signed?

Curious to learn about these. Can anyone fill me in?

cxgirl and wenna like this.
  13. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I would also like to learn more about this. I like the simplicity of these; they are not extravagant at all (I guess that is the Arts and Crafts style after all) and would be something I might normally overlook when out on the hunt as it were. Although there has been no hunting lately...

cxgirl likes this.
  14. popsycat

It was a popular home craft for quite a while. You could send for the makings from a catalogue. Somewhere in the loft I have an old catalogue. "Ruskin"was the pottery who made the coloured shapes which were incorporated in furniture handles as well and other items. I once had an arts and crafts wardrobe, with ruskin inserts. One was missing. I went through my brooches and found an exact match to complete the wardrobe. Some people made them commercially, but they are not found in large numbers, probably for craft fairs etc; hence you do find some with silver fronts, but mostly pewter. People incorporated all sorts of little items into the designs, but Ruskin is the most popular.How good they were depended upon how imaginative and artistic the maker was. Here is a link to the arts and crafts brass and copper ware with ruskin inserts.https://www.pinterest.com/gemedack/ruskin-tiles/

cxgirl, Lucille.b and wenna like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I do love Sewing Bee, as the granddaughter of a seamstress. There were some fab dresses last night. And that winning shirt makeover was brilliant.

popsycat likes this.
  16. popsycat

I was so excited when I saw it was on. The person who went out, I expected that result. That glittery stretchy material was terrible for a wrap around skirt. The hilight of my weeks viewing.

17. Ownedbybear

Yup, it needed a nice firm non stretchy fabric.

18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great explanation, thank you. Loved the link, too.

popsycat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted