Lavender Rimmed Plate with Fruit Query

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ladybranch, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This was one my mother's many plates that she displayed from time to time. I have IDed many of them like the transferware pieces; however, this plate has stumped me now for over a decade. I don't remember if I posted a query about it a few years ago on eBay's PGP board. If I did, I didn't get an answer or just plain forgot. I'd appreciate opinions on timeframe, country of origin, etc... I think it is antique, but would not be surprise if it turns out to be early 20th century. I can remember it from my earliest years, 1940s. I haven't a clue as to where, when or how she got it. I thought it was probably a transfer print, but not so sure on closer inspection. It looks hand painted, but I cannot feel any difference in texture on the design. There are definitely no dots in the painting or print.

Description:
    9" diameter, quite concave, but not a soup bowl.
    Front: White, 1 1/4" wide lavender rim/band/border. The well/center has a yellow and rust fruit that I thought was a peach, but on closer inspection of the branches I can see thorns. Now am wondering if a yellow hawthorn fruit??? There is a fine gold line (gilded) around the outer edge/lip and another around the well/center.

Base/Underside: The middle of the back has 4 raised concentric rings. In the center may be a partial impressed "0" or just a casting imperfection. Just above the outer concentric ring are 7 identical length, 1/8", impressed marks, strikes, scoring - not letters or numbers, just lines.

Condition: fair; a surface crack in the rim from the outer edge and across the margin, does not extend into the center. The gilding around the lip is partially gone from wear. The lavender rim and the fruit colors are still vibrant and intact. There is a casting imperfection, bump, about 1/4" in diameter on the outer edge at about 2 o'clock in the following pic.

TIA.

--- Susan

upload_2014-9-30_6-25-55.jpeg

upload_2014-9-30_6-26-42.jpeg

The following combo pic is a bit closer and a close-up of the bump/imperfection on the rim.
    upload_2014-9-30_6-27-40.jpeg

Another close-up that shows the texture of the plate and print/painting better.
    upload_2014-9-30_6-30-46.jpeg

The back of the plate. The score markings are at the top of the center at 12/noon
    upload_2014-9-30_6-31-27.jpeg

The scoring/marks.
    upload_2014-9-30_6-33-10.jpeg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think the fruit may be a quince.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Susan, I know nothing that would help with your questions... but just wanted to say that I like it a lot. I'm partial to botanical art.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've always thought these types of plates came from Germany/Bavaria though I'm not sure if it's because I've seen marked ones or just guessed. My MIL has some that came from her family that are very similar hanging in her dining room but that doesn't help any with the date, only that they are old.

It's possible it's a decal. I don't know how the decal process works but it's certainly one of the ways they decorate. Maybe someone else knows :)

oops, just found this one, it looks a little more modern but this is probably why I've thought Germany.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141419903221

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with s_i_s. I've always thought these were German also.
    The basic design is transfer, but the colors are added by hand.

My opinion only.
    I would put the time frame before WWI and as early as the late 1880s.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl,
    I just wanted to say, I agree with Pat to the time frame, by the 1920s Germany was being fired on the bottom. The one on your link is so confused saying the 30s.
    It is well marked being US Zone. The marks were used from July 1945 to May 1949.
    greg

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone!!! Y'all are wonderful with great opinions. Af, I hadn't thought of quince. That is a definite possibility for they are thorny. I also had thought about crab apple, but believe their thorns are longer and the leaves were not right.

Delighted to see there was a consensus as to c-of-o, Germany - that corner of the world. Pat thank you, for the added colors info and suggesting a timeframe of c1900 (1880-1914). Greg, thank you for pointing out that after 1920 too late.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted