Featured lead glass vase with figurine

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Usually I try to ignore lead glass vases unless Scandinavian and marked, but this had such a nice woman with harp carving that I had to bring it home. About 11" tall, no maker mark, but there is a dedication on the back "TO E. J. ROLDE WITH BEST WISHES K. MARES", with a caron mark over the S in MARES. The dedication font and carving look early-mid 20th century to me, and I see enough wear to the base to support that conclusion. I'm hoping the shape of the vase may be recognizable to the dedicated glassies? Or can anyone add anything else?

P3162324.JPG P3162314.JPG P3162315.JPG P3162316.JPG P3162321.JPG P3162322.JPG P3162323.JPG P3162320.JPG

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I would try an image search, but not with that background.

Jeff Drum, Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess, the glass was made to sell to engravers, an Engraver bought it and did one great job of engraving on it. Without a signature, I would have no where to look for the artist that did it. There's something funny about the fingers, but aren't fingers funny anyway?

Jeff Drum, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

I think I need directions on how to take a better picture that will be searchable. Below are pics on a white background, one in full sun on in shadow, not sure those are an improvement. Is there some best way to take pics of clear glass?
    P3212329.JPG P3212326.JPG

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Get some black card, roll it, and put it inside the vase.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  6. Jeff Drum

OK, thanks. No black paper in my house, but I stuffed a black nylon jacket in it which might do the trick.
    P3212336.JPG P3212334.JPG P3212332.JPG

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Clear glass is one of the most difficult things to photograph effectively. It usually has to be back-lit and back-lit with reflective light! That can be a trial to set up on the kitchen table, but it can be done.
    I took the pic below by placing the glass on a black tile and aiming the light from under the tile to a white card placed a few feet back from the subject.
    It's not the best pic I ever took, but it does show the object better than trying a shot face on.

Wrythen-Ale-Glass.jpg

judy, Jeff Drum, J Dagger and 3 others like this.
  8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
  9. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

Wow. That's a great picture.

judy, Jeff Drum and blooey like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures - Thanks!:)
    It's an 18thc. Georgian period “wrythen” ale glass c.1780, ht. 5″

11. Jeff Drum

Thanks, but its a private group so nothing available to me. I've avoided facebook since it started and that isn't likely to change.

blooey likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

We're on the same page!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted