Featured Leaded glass panel, art nouveau or déco?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by opoe, Sep 25, 2017.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Or is it Amsterdamse School?
    I have this one standing in front of the window in my bedroom to obscure the view of the ugly supermarket across the street. It lets such beautiful warm light in. 2014-07-02 19.25.08.jpg 2014-07-02 19.24.44.jpg 2014-07-02 19.25.44.jpg 2014-07-02 19.25.44.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Opoe, I like the way you create your own world in your home.
    I think this is Amsterdam School, which has been classed as Dutch Arts & Crafts, but can lean towards Art Deco, and De Stijl, of course.
    Here are some examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice window. Would say more nouveau than deco. Have never heard the term Amsterdamse school but, having been there, wonder if it is more like the German/Austrian secessionist movement. Remember seeing buildings that were along those lines. Could see that in this window. Have always considered the secessionist movement a bridge between the art nouveau/arts and crafts periods and art deco.

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and opoe like this.
  4. verybrad

Seems that Any Jewelry and I are thinking along the same line. Had not seen her post before posting mine. The examples posted are stunning and there are a couple there I badly want.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. verybrad

Think this thread a good example of how the art movements were fluid and not produced in a vacuum. Sometimes it is difficult to say exactly which movement a particular object belongs. I have just now added Amsterdamse school to my vocabulary/knowledge base.

6. Any Jewelry

Amsterdam School is an amazing style. As you noticed, it is a bridge between different style periods. And there is a bit of Secessionist in there.
    But because it is Dutch, there are also references to the sea - waves, water, shells, and there is a noticeable Indonesian influence (Dutch colony at the time), as in windows 2, 3, 4, and 6, in my post above.
    Here is a site devoted to the Amsterdam School, there is a translate button top right: http://amsterdamse-school.nl/
    My favourite Amsterdamse School building is the municipal museum in The Hague, clearly influenced by De Stijl:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Christmasjoy, opoe and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I think Amsterdamse school is the last dutch architectural style or otherwise that I like, after that, things get too blocky and straight for me here that goes especially for the buildings in the city were I live(which got a bit reorganized with the help of americans because they thought they were already above germany when they dropped those bombs) Leaded glass is really helpfull in blocking out the ugliness of the outside...;)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Nijmegen?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

No, Enschede suffered that fate too, multiple times. The result: 356 deaths and becoming one of the Netherlands' ugliest cities.
    not only by americans though, the British couldn't navigate either...;)

My grandma was in Nijmegen then and narrowly escaped the bombs, it was beyond horrible she told me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

And Enschedé suffered the fireworks disaster a couple of years ago.
    But Twente is a beautiful part of the country, big old trees, and castles.
    I live in another one of those bombed and ugly rebuilt towns (made famous by light bulbs;)), but surrounded by beautiful countryside. Like in Enschedé, the people are very nice, and there are a lot of creative, artistic people.
    In the end people make a community, and in that sense we're better off than in some of the famous towns that still have their old monuments.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Aahh, Eindhoven, got lots of relatives in that region, mom comes from a big catholic brabantian family.
    Maybe my obsession with old stuff and collecting as much as possible comes from the fact that I lost everything on that day in may 2000, a part of my own history was wiped away so I needed a new one.
    I could share explosion-stories with my grandma, she knew what it was like.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

So sorry to hear you were in that disaster, glad that you came out alive. I can imagine that you want to collect and preserve things after such a shock and the loss of all your possessions.

Yes Eindhoven, a place of ugly buildings and beautiful people.:)
    We do have a couple of medieval water mills though, one of them just about down the road from me. And a 12th century monastery wall, not to be sneezed at either.

Draft saved Draft deleted