Featured Leaded glass soap dish or paper clip holder

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rknarr2, Sep 9, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I need some help identifying this rectangular glass piece. It is very heavy so I thought maybe this glass contains lead. I thought this is a leaded glass soap dish but my mom thinks it is used to hold paper clips. The measurements are about (4 3/16" x 2 7/8") top dimensions x (4" x 2 3/4") bottom dimensions x 1" height. Thank you for help in identifying this rectangular glass piece. Rob
    IMG_4714small.JPG IMG_4715small.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have one or two of these. They are glass paper weights. The photos are missing and it is upside down.
    greg

3. rknarr2

Sorry my photos are missing and upside down. Thank you for the insight on this glass paper weight. Rob

4. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

5. rknarr2

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  6. busryde

busryde Active Member

I cut old postcards to size, glue it to the bottom lip, then put a piece of felt on the bottom....instant antique! ;-)

7. rknarr2

Good idea, thank you. Rob

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Terminology.
    Leaded glass is generally in reference to bits of glass held together with strips of formed lead which encase the edges of the glass and hold it in place in a "picture' made of glass bits.

Lead glass is glass which has as a main constituent approximately 24% PbO, lead oxide. It has a distinctive ring sound when tapped with a pencil. Non lead glass goes "tink" when struck with a pencil.

Just so you know.

Late note, fine stemware with as little as 3% PbO will ring.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  9. rknarr2

Appreciate the education on lead glass. Rob

JackieR likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted