Featured Learned Lessons on Collecting Vintage Golf Clubs

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by roberrific, Jul 9, 2016.

1. roberrific

roberrific Son of a Beekeeper

This summer I learned some things about golf clubs when i seized upon these wooden putters with painted faces
    [​IMG]
    I knew they were worth something , probably made in the 1960s or 70s... but its the painted club faces that hooked me - I needed to know what the different colours meant.

Sadly as far as pedigree goes , their maker, Spaulding is pretty common and there are aluminum caps on the ends of the metal shafts - worthless.
    [​IMG]
    I showed the clubs to Bradlee Ryall who teaches golf lessons and he said the painted faces were just there to help the golfer hit the ball. [​IMG]
    He also agreed the clubs are near worthless - but would make attractive wall decorations in his man cave.

These pics and more are in a story detailing what I learned about collecting antique golf clubs.

in short there's more to it than hickory shafts and hand painted putters

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These are drivers, not putters. Agree 60s or so.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

The way I would 'play' golf>
    Get to the golf course.
    Get out a ball and a stick.
    Hit the ball, eventually, into a hole.
    Leave it there and go home.
    :)

Aquitaine, lloyd249, CBri and 2 others like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Good tale, Robberific!

5. KingofThings

He's all a buzz. ;)

lloyd249 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think those clubs...are slightly older than the 60's or 70's...& while the top one may be painted I think the other 3 have inserts.....& they are not all drivers.

Here's a nice set to collect....

[​IMG]

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  7. komokwa

Maybe more than slightly...

KingofThings likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The only golf club I ever sold was a Scottish Sunday golf club.

A walking stick with a golfclub shaped handle, from the days when the Kirk banned golf on Sundays. You'd walk about making golf shots at pebbles or whatever and if an Elder of the Kirk hove into sight, a quick flip and it's an innocent walking stick.

If you know such things exist, it gives you a chance to snag one at auction from people who don't recognize one.

Otherwise I'd agree with whoever said golf is a nice walk spoiled. Although as a child, finding lost balls at the local golf club and selling them back by the bucketfull was handy pocket money.

sch3gsd, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to golf and loved it. Had a 3 handicap. Have not golfed for years. When I lived in Middlesex NJ I had a bird bath in the backyard. Every three days a crow would drink and splash in the bath. Every time he left me a golf ball in the bath. Lived near a golf course. Some of the balls were very expensive. I gave over 800 of them to a friend when I was moving. Once in a while the crow would leave with an odd earring or other piece of shiny stuff. The best was a nice piece of 18K gold chain (about 6") scrapped for several hundred dollars.
    greg

komokwa, SBSVC, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  10. KingofThings

Now that's something to crow about! :pigeon:
    ~
    A neighbor didn't like that they were hanging about the back of his house making a racket. They may have been ravens actually, and one day he threw something at them...
    Ooops.
    Every day they bombarded his house with rocks and sticks.

gregsglass and SBSVC like this.
  11. KingofThings

Do you get a golf cart placard for having a golf handicap?

SBSVC likes this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Both of my parents golfed, but I never got into it myself.

When I was a little kid, in a playpen in the backyard, my Mom was outside practicing her backswing. I must have climbed out of the playpen, because she caught the back of my head with her club. I still have a long scar under my hair. (A hairdresser touched it "wrong" once, and I passed out in his chair - totally freaked him out!)

Years later, I used to caddy for my Dad. He played on a course that, at the time, didn't allow motorized carts. What I most remember about those days is lots of hills and a fair amount of swearing...

KingofThings likes this.
  13. komokwa

Hi Greg !
    3 ?.........3 ?..!!!
    Not bad there ol' chap !!!
    I don't claim to be close to scratch.....but I've posted 3 Eagles......& came a foot away from my 4th just this week.

One day, when we're both done with this world....we'll meet up for a round at Augusta !

KingofThings likes this.
  14. KingofThings

I know someone who was accidentally crowned by a golf club at the age of six. He's a bit daft and I think he leans on this as an excuse for his behavior sometimes. :(
    -
    This game is something I've often wondered about, if perhaps I'm a natural at it but have no idea. ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    SBSVC likes this.
  15. KingofThings

Stay out of the rough and, perhaps, no scratching will be necessary.
    -
    I've seen 3 house wrens this morning. Do they count?
    I see another but it's not so close.
    -
    :)

16. komokwa

Do you have good hand eye coordination ?
    Do you Tennis, ping pong, Baseball, or hit rocks with a stick ??
    Do you enjoy being out in nature, among the grass & trees, & birds , small mammals ?
    Do you enjoy swearing like a drunken sailor when your ball goes in the cup...hits the plastic liner and pops out right back towards you ???

Then you may have what it takes to enjoy...a good walk spoiled !

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

I think full contact golf would be more interesting.
    -
    Then the crowd reactions would have more basis in reality...
    ;)

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted