Featured Leeds Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dory64, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

THAT'S JUST MY OPINION TOO!

2. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

On the left is mine and I think looks hand done rather than moulded upload_2021-9-5_15-2-20.png upload_2021-9-5_15-3-31.png
    On the right is the newer one and looks more moulded to me. What do you think Tahmoor girl?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  3. Tahmoor girl

I agree with you. Yours looks nothing like the newer moulded one.

BUT THAT'S JUST MY UNEDUCATED OPINION

Dory64 likes this.
  4. Tahmoor girl

Why does it say 'Made in England'? By 1790 Leeds Pottery employed 150 people and its products were exported throughout Europe and as far afield as Russia and America.

BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Because that was where it was made.

6. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

It was made at the Leeds Pottery (just south of Leeds, England). It was exported throughout Europe . . .

DragonflyWink likes this.
  7. Tahmoor girl

We've done it!..........AND THAT'S MY OPINION

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Leeds:
    https://www.visitleeds.co.uk/things-to-do/information-centre/leeds-visitor-centre/

Location of Leeds in England, which is in the United Kingdom:
    [​IMG]

Confusingly, Leeds is also in the British Isles:
    [​IMG]

For a better understanding of the locations of Leeds, the United Kingdom and the British Isles in relation to the rest of Europe:
    [​IMG]

The United Kingdom (orange, not politically motivated) in relation to Australia (green, also not politically motivated):
    [​IMG]

This is not my opinion, I am impartial about the location of Leeds, but I hope the above information answers your question.:)

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

As this piece is a copy/later production of an early piece and because there were more than one factories/organizations/owners that produced the style (likely of varying quality) you would think the easiest way to date this one is by the mark. The leaf/tree mark is not un-common however I've not found it in reliable sources which makes me wonder if it is quite new. My Godden's was revised 1991 so not the most current info. Does anyone know it?

@Tahmoor girl here is a guide to why "Made in England" is helpful in dating. For the most part it denotes a 20th C or newer piece.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/general.htm

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

sis, you've more patience than I do. And yes, this is brand harry spankers new.

aj, I love you.

11. Any Jewelry

:happy:

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Our Moderators and Senior Members are not here to fact check every post.

Please show them the respect they deserve and try to learn from the information they provide, rather than continuing on with a theory found on the Internet.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'll just throw these on as I have looked at a bunch of marks. In spite of numerous Hartley Greens attributions for the mark, I haven't found much.

A lovely piece that has a printed mark and another with a price tag that says "Monticello". If it was indeed purchased at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello gift shop, perhaps this mark was used for museum sales? Lot's of don't knows but here they are.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/73193052_leeds-pottery-cream-ware-basket-and-cover-on-stand
    upload_2021-9-5_10-55-51.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265282087351?hash=item3dc40b69b7:g:hfkAAOSw2Y1hJDx~

upload_2021-9-5_10-57-38.png

14. Any Jewelry

Dory, my apologies for the toing and froing in your thread.
    One member of this forum thinks that googling is far superior to knowledge, the rest of the forum disagrees.
    There has been a lot of sabotage of knowledge and expertise lately, and disrespect shown by the googling member towards other members, and worse, the moderators. I am sorry this issue played such a role in your thread, when all you asked for was information.
    I sincerely hope you will continue to enjoy and use the forum, I appreciate your friendly attitude towards everyone.

15. Tahmoor girl

Deleted

Repetitive false information

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021
    BoudiccaJones likes this.
  16. Tahmoor girl

Deleted

17. Tahmoor girl

Deleted

18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have no idea why you are posting these links, no one said that Leeds didn't export their goods before the 20th century, only that the use of an 'England' mark was generally used from the 1890s, 'Made in England' usually a bit later, and required by the McKinley Tariff Act from 1921 (this information is well-known to most anyone who knows antiques) - Say_it_slowly very kindly gave a link to a well-known and reliable site explaining that:

england-mark-the-potteries.JPG

Will you please stop this nonsense?!? Your continued posting of irrelevant and/or erroneous information, and the strident defense of it only shows your lack of genuine knowledge, as well as not only an unwillingness to learn, but also a considerable lack of respect for our members who've earned it by years of actual research in their areas of interest and personal experience in handling antiques. Like many others here, I've literally decades of experience in antiques and collectibles, yet still learn new things every day, and though misinformation abounds and spreads like wildfire, the internet has definitely enabled a wider and more shareable information base, but it's foolish to believe everything found online, or to believe that everything can be found online...

~Cheryl

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If Cheryl's riled, then that says much. Patience of a saint.

20. Any Jewelry

I would like to add that Say-it-slowly owns a respectable collection of reference books, and has tremendous expertise on pottery through decades of research and handling pottery.

@Tahmoor girl , if you don't know a subject through experience and study, please don't keep contradicting those who do. I see from the moderator's corrections that you have been at it yet again.

To put it bluntly, and I thought I would never have to say this to anyone: Put in the hard work, and we'll hear from you in a few years time, or be quiet and learn from those who know far more than you do.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted