Lefton China Beverage Set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Came home today with this Lefton China Beverage set. It Has 4 Cups and Saucers and an open Style Pitcher. I'm Kind of wondering if they belong together, and what the age is and what the pattern is. thank you in advance 001 (640x437).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bdigger

I was able to do some investigating and found this Lefton Pattern named as Harvest Fruit. The marks also date them to 1949- 1955. I like this set a lot. Too bad I have to list it!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Gotheborg shows the same mark as L'Amour China, which is how this stuff shows up in Canada. Same maker, different importer = different name. Maybe you should send this mark to Gotheborg and point out the connection.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe not such a good idea. I can't figure out how to do it without joining the site, and I don't imagine contributing enough to warrant that.

5. Bdigger

LOL.... Yes I noticed that. Can't do anything for free. I guess he will just have to figure it out on his own LOL

6. Bdigger

I'm still wondering if the pitcher is supposed to be with the cups

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

They're listed on the replacements site as Heritage. They're the same pattern, and you can sell them together or not, but a pitcher doesn't belong with a cup and saucer in the sense I think you mean.
    Janet

8. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Are you guys sure that is a cup? With that rim it would be a nightmare to drink from.

9. Bdigger

Yes the "R" site has it listed as a cup. Heck, I have trouble drinking out of a straight edged cup. I'd absolutly drown myself trying to dring from this! Pretty Though!

10. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

Probably too late - but throwing this out anyway.

Brown Heritage Fruit. Dates to 1956+. Nice older mark. There is also a Brown Heritage Floral - Fruit is less common and less of it made. Fruit was discontinued before Floral. It is a cup and saucer - and a pitcher. Number of c&s would tell me if it is an after dinner c&s or just regular c&s. The Lefton mark often says hand painted - but in most cases not much was actually hand painted. This is an exception - the fruit design was hand painted and shows brush strokes if examined closely (not a decal or transfer).

No Lefton crown mark (like the one shown) that says Lefton China Hand Painted Reg US Pat Off. dates to 1949 - of course it would say Occupied Japan if it dated to 1949 (it does not). Most dates published online are not correct. The LCHPRUSPO crown mark (like the one shown) was not used before 1953 or so. Most published Lefton China info was published before the author had accurate or correct references. I think LD (a Lefton author) was the one that started the 1949 nonsense... She did not care for it much when I told her she was wrong either... Much close to correct dating info in KBs Lefton books

11. Bdigger

Thank you Leftonguy. I was hoping you would see this. The pitcher is sold. These are beautiful pieces. I really like them and may decide to make room for them! Thank you for the date information! I appreciate your time and attention!

12. Bdigger

BTW The Number on the Saucers is NE561

13. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

The regular c&s. The smaller demi or AD c&s is #2636.
    Did some checking tonight as I had some time. 1958 to early 1960s. NE prefix indicates Japanese manufacturer for Lefton - Endo Toki. I think the best dinnerware by Lefton was made by Endo (personal opinion). I call this pattern dinnerware because it has so many serving pieces, but not exclusively serving pieces.

L'Amour is quite a story. The founder of Lefton allowed L'Amour to piggyback on some of his orders so he got a cheaper price from the Japanese makers. But the owner of L'Amour pissed old GZL off somehow and the connection between L'Amour and Lefton was lost. Never found ANY printed dealer info from L'Amour or ESD (headquartered in Toronto Ontario). L'Amour/ESD continued with their sale of giftware (in Canada only) after the connection to Lefton was lost. Lots of L'Amour/ESD stuff is identical to Lefton - but not all ESD is Lefton. They had some "patterns" Lefton never had (despite what some uniformed sellers will tell you on ebay). L'Amour = Lefton? Yes. ESD = Lefton, not always.

14. Bdigger

Thank you for the updated info Leftonguy! I appreciate you taking the time and effort to do some research!

Draft saved Draft deleted