Leon Lundmark 1913 oil painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg This caught my eye today. I didn't know the artist but loved the painting. After a quick search, I realized it was Leon Lundmark, a very well known artist. His works are very well known and in demand. This one needs some cleaning though. It's priced at $600.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think you're jumping to conclusions. A brief look at Leon Lundmark paintings online very strongly suggests that this painting is not by him. He seems to have specialized in seascapes, and seems to have had better technique than this guy.

3. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg
    I don't believe I'm jumping to conclusions. Did you even read about Lundmark?

After leaving Sweden in 1906, Lundmark settled in Pullman, Illinois where he worked in the Decoration Department of the Pullman shops. His spare time was spent painting scenes of the Lake Michigan shore. Lundmark participated in local exhibitions and by 1921 he had a painting accepted for inclusion in the annual juried exhibitions of the Art Institute of Chicago. He had a total of six paintings selected for inclusion from 1921 through 1924. It was because of the 1921 AIC exhibition that Lundmark was discovered by J. W. Young Art Gallery, located in the Fine Arts Building on Michigan Avenue. Mr. Young was so impressed by the painting that Lundmark exhibited in 1921 that he rushed to Lundmark’s south
    side apartment to meet the artist.

Yes, he painted seascapes most off the time but the one above isn't a seascape. Even Rothko broke away from field paintings and did some hard edge paintings. If you notice the date, 1913, this would indicate the time before he was noticed. So yes, the technique would not have been up to par as his later works.

Upon looking at the signature, the way the "K" and "D" are written is the same as a known Lundmark sig. He didn't sign his works the same way every time. image.jpg image.jpg

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

5. Armando0831

6. Armando0831

7. spirit-of-shiloh

Artists usually paint various genre before they find their niche in what they feel they are best at painting ;) So Leon must have liked seascapes....I like his river paintings best ;)

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Estimate was $700 to $900 - it sold for $550

Armando0831 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  9. spirit-of-shiloh

No selling price as you have to be a member to see. Others have bids at 200.00 to 275.00.

I didn't see Messi's post :)

10. Armando0831

So, $600 isn't to bad I suppose. I wish it were a later work of a seascape though. Do you think it would be good idea to ask if he could lower the price due to it being an earlier work that isn't in a big demand like his later works? Plus it's in need of a good cleaning.

11. Messilane

It's free to join, as is Liveauctioneers.
    (see above)

12. Armando0831

Thanks. I just joined. I have one for Liveauctioneers already.

13. spirit-of-shiloh

Just my personal opinion but there seems to be a wealth of seascapes out there but few paintings like yours.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I look at the picture that Shiloh posted and see a painting that is so much better than the one you're showing. And the only similarity I see between the signatures is that they are both printed and both say L. Lundmark.

I think that your picture is an amateur landscape by a Sunday painter.

15. Messilane

I disagree, but WDIK.
    I do think Joe's would look much better, and lighter, if it were cleaned.

Armando0831 likes this.
  16. spirit-of-shiloh

17. Armando0831

Ok, so experts should never go by an artist signature then, EVER.

18. spirit-of-shiloh

LUNDMARK, Leon(1875 – 1942) The illegitimate son of Countess Hanna von Till and S.A. Johnson; he lived in Chicago and later Altadena. Coastal scenes constitute the largest part of his work. (Exh. with the CAC 1914-15, 1937 [28th], 1938 [29th].) (H) (M) (A)

http://www.californiaartclub.org/historic-membership-roster-l-z/

19. spirit-of-shiloh

An artist can deviate from their signatures I would guess over years?

20. Armando0831

He probably did paint it on a Sunday, while on a Sunday drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted