Leon Lundmark 1913 oil painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 13, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]http://www.icollector.com/Leon-Lundmark-Oil-Painting-On-Canvas_i10153430

Painted to depict clipper ships at sea, Leon Lundmark (1875-1942) was a native to Illinois and California and known for his seascapes, signed and dated 1912 lower right, 24"H x 34"W, sight, 29.5"H x 39.5"W framed, condition, three small patches upper center in the clouds, could use a light cleaning, very nicley done.

Armando0831 likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I guess, but look at the "D" in all of these.
    They all are slightly flattened at the top of the curve.
    If these are not by the same man, well then, I just don't know what to believe.

Armando0831 likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

No expert will ever go by a signature alone.

Ultimately, it's your money.

4. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

Thank and yes it is.

5. Armando0831

I never did say"Alone".

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Unless I am totally wacko, all three signatures vary but are the same time frame and I personally think the same artist.

Of course I will never be a famous artist but all my paintings are signed. L.L. Lujan, Linda Girard and L or Linda Rowan, oh and L.L.L. Two married names and my maiden name.So you never know ;) Oh, and most are in script but vary,;)

Armando0831 likes this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

WOW, I just read Lundmarks bio and he lived in Altadena,Calif., a stones throw away from where I used to live in Glendale. :)

Armando0831 likes this.
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

LEON LUNDMARK OIL ON CANVAS (Altadena, California...

LEON LUNDMARK OIL ON CANVAS (Altadena, California 1875-1942) Mountain landscape with Indians in canoe on lake. 18" by 26", signed L. Lundmark l.r. and...

[​IMG]
    http://www.marks4antiques.com/apa/LEON-LUNDMARK-OIL-ON-CANVAS-Altadena--bf473

I won't belabour this anymore but had to add that this painting is a landscape with Indians so L.Lundmark DID paint other water scenes besides seascapes ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Armando0831 likes this.
  9. Armando0831

I'm convinced that it's the same artist. Artist have been known to do other works than what they are known for. Thank you for all your help Shiloh.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

Your welcome.....but.I could be dead wrong......Virgos are very stubborn in trying to prove their points. ;) :p:cool:

11. Armando0831

You're right, I'm a Virgo also!very stubborn sometimes.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. spirit-of-shiloh

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:..so is my boyfriend and you would not BELIEVE the heated discussions we have ;) We are ALWAYS correct. :banghead::banghead::banghead::D

Armando0831 likes this.
  13. Armando0831

If I remember correctly, this painting came from an estate sale where he picked up a Hudson River painting too. I'll have to ask him again. I know, people lie.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This 1931 newspaper article about Leon Lundmark says this somewhere in the middle (emphasis added): "Since then his paintings, usually of the water, although he also has a predilection for forests, have gone into hundreds of collections."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...7VQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MyIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6764,6411100

From that phrase I don't think it would be unheard of for Leon Lundmark to have painted a scene like this.

The article is pretty interesting, too, as they interviewed him for it.

I wonder whether it would be easier to compare to the other paintings if it were cleaned. Too bad you can't ask the seller to do that.

spirit-of-shiloh and Armando0831 like this.
  15. Armando0831

That is truly fascinating. Thank you for the page. I think the seller wouldn't spend the money to get it cleaned. I do believe that it would look so much better cleaned.

16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

It NEEEEDS to be cleaned.
    As others have opined this doesn't LOOK like it is by a hand with talent commensurate with the other works by this artist. (The cockeyed photo messes with my eye too.) but I DO suspect a good cleaning would reveal a much more experienced execution, more in line with the other works shown.

Funny you mention the dealer has another painting in the "Hudson River School." That was my initial though on seeing this one.

My vote is you're on the right track.

Price is up to you. As a work I find it...competent...nothing special, kinda dark.

spirit-of-shiloh and Armando0831 like this.
  17. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

As a general rule, experts only pay attention to signatures after they have determined authenticity by the visual and physical evidence (and other factors) of the work itself.

Amateurs tend to place high value on signatures, even when the work itself doesn't support the attribution. This is why selling fakes is so easy, particularly on internet sites like eBay.

I don't see any reason why the OP's painting wouldn't be an authentic work by Leon Lundmark. He wasn't a very exciting painter and the lack of excitement in this one is fully commensurate! :happy:

18. Armando0831

Hopefully upon cleaning, this painting will show it's full potential. It kind of makes me feel like this is somewhere someone would go to clear their mind, a place of tranquility, when they need alone time. I believe after a good cleaning, this would show a lovely sunset or sunrise.

19. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Armando, I don't understand why you would pay $600 for this painting when most of his auction records don't even hit prices that high. Are you emotionally tied to this painting for some reason? If you're wanting to profit this is maybe a bad investment. I'm hoping you didn't already buy it?

20. Armando0831

I have not yet purchased this painting. No, I'm not emotionally tied to it either. It's just who I am, I love art and I collect art, I never sell what I buy. All the art pieces that I have are for my future great grand kids, etc. If I were planning on reselling this piece, yes $600 is way to much to make a profit. I thought about opening a gallery some day and having pieces from noted artist would really help out. I'm not planning on a lavish gallery, just something that art lovers can stop by and see some nice art.

Draft saved Draft deleted