Leon Lundmark 1913 oil painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 13, 2014.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

thanks for the reply. I'd pass on this painting if I were you because while I do think it's authentic, I don't think it's his best work by any stretch of the imagination....like Skeezix said, it's kind of dark and gloomy. I can't say I like it at all. I think your money would be better spent on another work.

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Beauty and taste is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen some horrible paintings of splotches,lines or boxes called ART and question the talent and work that supposedly went into them? JMHO ;)

Armando0831 likes this.
  3. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

If the wife says that she likes it and thinks it worth every penny, it's a green light. I can imagine what this painting will look like after it's be cleaned. Notice the blue paint in the trees to the left? That part is also dirty. Just imagine how bright the blue sky will be afterwards. I'm sure details that aren't seen with the naked eye right now, will pop out. It will not be gloomy in the end but more of a personal tranquil space.

4. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

well, of course this is just my opinion.

5. Armando0831

I am purchasing it tomorrow though.

6. Armando0831

That's the thing about the art world. It's a living breathing thing. The prices can fluctuate on any given piece. There's been oil paintings that have been estimated at a decent known average price, just to be sold at a record high auction price. As collectors that have had these original oil paintings pass away, it's the newer generation of collectors that decide what a piece is worth. You get a young collector that may only run across one original from a known artist once. Because the rest are in museums, private collections and galleries, then yes, I would pay over what an auction value might be so I could be the proud owner of that work. That's what I do, I collect art.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the Leon Lundmark attribution based on what I have seen. I do think the price is high for this work. While he has a fairly long record of sales, prices are all over the place. Prices seem to be highest for his seascapes.

Of the 38 works I looked at, 17 sold for over $600.00 with most of these prices being realized 8-10 years ago. As we all know, the art market for all but the upper echelon of works is down quite a bit from what it was back then. All were seascapes.

Typical of his non-seascape works at auction is this landscape that sold for $324.00 (along with two unrelated paintings) including auction premium.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5020382

I just don't see the value for the work in question. I think for $600.00 you can do much better. There is a lot of investment quality art that can be bought for less than $300.00.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Was able to find the results for this one. $350 + auction premium......

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted