Featured LEROY NEIMAN'S MICHAEL JORDAN - TRADING CARD NEGATIVE? LITHO NEGATIVE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 21, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

A friend bought a box of sports & this-n-thats and in were negatives of different sports & sport figures/games - and this negative. My friend told me it was the official negative used to create the Leroy Neiman trading card. I'd never heard of a Leroy Neiman trading card, but googling turned up this Kayo(??) card:

https://www.sportscollectibles.com/...991_kayo_card_psa_dna_authentic_c_p151599.htm

It has a black border & measures 5" x 4"

First, what is a Kayo card? Was this the negative used to make them?

Could it be a lithograph negative from the printer?

ANY ideas would be appreciated.

COLLECTIBLE LEROY NEIMAN MICHAEL JORDAN NEGATIVE 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE LEROY NEIMAN MICHAEL JORDAN NEGATIVE 1AAbbb.JPG
    COLLECTIBLE LEROY NEIMAN MICHAEL JORDAN NEGATIVE 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE LEROY NEIMAN MICHAEL JORDAN NEGATIVE 4AA.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

How would they do that if the text is positive?:confused:

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

AJ is right it is not a negative. Kayo seems to be the boxers name and Neiman is the artist. Both Jordan and Neiman appear to have signed yours. Other will know more.
    Cheers
    Stephen

judy and i need help like this.
  4. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

I am not exactly sure what this is but I did find this article

https://www.robertedwardauctions.co...edition-leroy-neiman-serigraph-artists-proof/

Titled Michael Jordan, issued in 1991, numbered "AP 41/50" (designating this as a rare artist's proof), and flawlessly signed in pencil along the lower margin by LeRoy Neiman (grading "10"). Edition limited to just 376 total impressions (320 numbered impressions, 50 artist's proofs, and 6 printer's proofs). This is one of only two serigraphs ever produced by LeRoy Neiman picturing Michael Jordan and the only one to feature him exclusively. Utilizing a montage format, Neiman captures Jordan in an array of poses: dribbling, driving, shooting, and dunking. This serigraph, which was issued in 1991, the year in which Jordan won his first of an eventual six World Championships with the Bulls, is widely recognized as the premier art print of Jordan. The serigraph measures 29.5 x 36.5 inches (image area) and is in Near Mint condition. Reserve $500. Estimate $1,500+.

As well as this one that goes over proofs, artist's proofs and printer's proofs

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/editions-proofs-states-aspects-sports-fine-art-prints/

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a transparency - 'Kayo' is a brand of trading cards depicted boxers (knockout/KO/Kayo)...

~Cheryl

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree; it looks like a 20th century magic lantern slide equivalent. There probably aren't an awful lot of them around, especially since no one in this motley lot recognizes it.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8. DragonflyWink

Would think it's a photo of a signed poster, perhaps for a brochure or catalog - can remember photographers using 4x5 transparency film for use in publishing...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  9. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Thanks, komokwa...
    Agreed, looks like a color transparency, the sort of thing to be placed on an "overhead projector" (does anyone still use those?) -- uncertain what purpose it would have now...
    Anyway, it's well outside our wheelhouse, so as always we'd defer to the many more expert and more experienced opinions at Net54: http://net54baseball.com/ -- we recommend signing up over there and posting in the "Memorabilia / Autographs / Game Used" subforum.

AJefferson and i need help like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oooops.. my bad..

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2B7260CC-ED1B-41CC-AC5E-E1A7A2983F2D.jpeg Doesn’t mean anything to me in the slightest, just want to point out, some numbering, maybe reversed and the unusual notch on this.

AJefferson likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

It is basically a larger version of a slide, the film produces a positive image rather than a negative - those are code notches at the top, used in processing. Really just looks to me like a picture of a double signed Neiman poster of Jordan, most likely shot by a professional photographer, and intended for use in some sort of publication...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  13. DragonflyWink

14. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you all - & thanks BaseballGames! - I will try to post it on net54 to see what if anything is special about it & if it's collectible.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The mark on the right looks like Kodak, making this a medium format slide for some purpose or other.

Draft saved Draft deleted